Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dd owns a hookah in my house....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
My dd is 18 and still lives with us until she transfers to a 4 year college.

We recently discovered a hookah in her room. Personally, I don't see the big deal. I've never smelled it and it's not illegal. Dh on the other hand thinks we need to tell her to get rid of it or at least tell her she's not allowed to smoke it in the house.

But the thing is, he allows his friends and our family members to smoke in our house. I don't see how that's any different than the tobacco dd is smoking upstairs. Cigarettes smell horrible and linger. Dd said she's had this since June and I haven't smelled it once.

So what's your take on "kids" and hookah?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Smoking in any form is not allowed in our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
She is 18 so its her choice to use it or not. Its your And dh house so its your choice where she uses it.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Maybe she is smoking pot? The smell of pot doesnt linger like cigarettes do. I am not against smoking, but my kids could be 40 years old and wouldnt be allowed to smoke in my home if I didnt smoke too or family members. Thats just crazy to me.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM
DH and I have two so I can't.say anything. Lol.
Its cultural, my kids probably will do it socially.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

id ask her not smoke it in the house.... but double standard definitely apllies here with your husband.

MommyKarma
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I wouldn't mind most anything my ADULT child was doing in my home, as long as it was something huge you know like keeping a basement full of bodies or something.....

That said, I am pretty sure though smoking from a hookah is MUST worse health wise than smoking a cigarette.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
No way in heck would I allow it. My friends can smoke outside in our smoking area because I'm not their mom and I can't tell them how to live their life, but while my kids are under my roof, there are no tobacco (or any kind of smoking) products.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

We're not friends with our children.  It would be a no here, no matter what we, as the adults and homeowners, were doing in our house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
That's what dh said but I've seen the tobacco. She has little boxes of it and she pulled some out to show me that it wasn't pot(because that's what dh accused her of). I know the smell of pot doesn't linger but either dh or myself are home at all times of the day so I really think we would smell something if she smoked that.

Quoting thenameshailie:

Maybe she is smoking pot? The smell of pot doesnt linger like cigarettes do. I am not against smoking, but my kids could be 40 years old and wouldnt be allowed to smoke in my home if I didnt smoke too or family members. Thats just crazy to me.

MamaKarrot
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

DH and I own a hookah we use occassionally at night when the kids are in bed and we smoke honey tobacco (and sometimes the fruity kind that's not really tobacco).  It's very aromatic, not at all like a cigarette.  Not saying it's okay/not okay to have her use it in your house, but it definitely doesn't stink up a house like cigarettes do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN