Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you were in need of emergency diaper assistance AND wanted to try cloth... ETA

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 36 Replies

I have some thoughts/questions for you below =]  I'm working on a cloth diaper ministry and would like some input. Here are some details.  What do you like and dislike about it?  What would you add?  I have done some research and these are ideas I got from other similar ministries.  Thanks for your input!

*Cloth diapers are offered under 2 options:

1.)  A one month trial basis

*For those with an emergency need

*Not fully decided but willing to try for 1 month, frree of charge

*Agree to attend a one time care and use class

*Optional:  attend a class on how to make a cheap stash (for $15 or under)

2.)  A 6 month commitment

*Fully committed to cloth diapering but unable to fund a stash

*Agree to attend a one time care and use class

*Agree to attend a class on how to make a cheap stash ($15 or under)

*Agree to build own stash during 6 month period, either purchasing your own or making your own (at             least 4 a month)

**We will provide:

1.) A one time class on care and use

2.) A class on making cheap diapers

3.)  Clean/dry diapers (may be commercial or homemade)

4.)  A contract with two options

5.)  An application

6.) Classes for those who don't meet the income requirements but want to learn about care/use

**Participants:

1.)  Must meet income requirements

**(WIC, SNAP or check stubs required for proof)

2.)  Must sign a contract

3.)  Are responsible for care and use as well as any extra purchases they wish to make

**Contract**

I agree to:

***Apply for assistance and if accepted

*choose option 1 or 2 (option 1 recommended for first time cloth use)

*Notify the ministry of any loss or damage immediately

* Use and care for diapers in manner directed

* Return diapers as agreed upon, clean and dry

* Having access to at least a personal washer

* Build my own stash if selecting option 2

* Provide a copy of credit card and agree to all charges that may be applied due to loss or damage

*Provide any extras at my own cost (laundry detergent, wet bags etc.)

ETA:  *Our town has an assistance program for disposables

*Participants do not have to OWN a washer, but simply have ACCESS to a personal one (friend,   family member etc.).  Other ministries have run into problems with those who don't at least have access to a washer.

*The credit card stipulation has not caused other ministries to have to turn people away

*This program is supposed to be a hand up, not a hand out.  This is why we want them to build their own stash.  It is only meant to be a stepping stone.  By building their own stash, they are proving that they want to help themselves instead of relying on others to support them.

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Britty1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM

bump

Britty1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Anyone?
WowIllbeamom11
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Sounds like a great idea!
maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I think thats a great way to help people out! We will be doing cloth...but I am not sure we are saving money,lol. They are just too cute!

MommyKarma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I think it sounds good. I read through it pretty fast.

I've been there, with no diapers, no money. I actually got in contact with a program just like this but the stipulations and requrements were a bit crazy and I just couldn't end up doing it all .... I think money was involved too, I don't know.

More than once I have had to use my pads in DS underwear for an ER diaper. =/ Not a great place to be, so any help to those in that situation is cool in my book.

MommyKarma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Oh I used cloth diapers that I got passed on to me for free or cheap, so I was always pro-cloth anyways, I loved them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I hate the idea of must be on snap wic etc. Because of people like me who are 5- 10 dollars over their income requirements don't get help ever. Poor people get all kinds of help. People who are well off don't need the help. Then there's the people in the middle who are one emergency away from disaster.
pregnantmama105
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I am cd dd once she arrives. ds I'd stillnin sposies.

I think it's a great idea
handy0318
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are intending this to be a ministry, then I think you are cutting out a lot of the people most in need of it by requiring a credit card.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I agree. I saw it and wondered about those people who wouldn't be able to utilize the program because they exceed sic and other things by a few dollars.

Besides, how many of them will be unable to meet the credit card requirement?

I do like the idea of it. I've told my family members that I am no longer willing to buy disposable diapers for them, but will buy 2 dozen prefolds, and a few covers in a heartbeat. Then they will never be in this position again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate the idea of must be on snap wic etc. Because of people like me who are 5- 10 dollars over their income requirements don't get help ever. Poor people get all kinds of help. People who are well off don't need the help. Then there's the people in the middle who are one emergency away from disaster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)