Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child Sexual Abuse and "stranger danger"

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 147 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is a S/O of sorts to the "I take my male child in the ladies room" crap we see here every day.

Here are the FACTS ladies:

Only around 150 kids are kidnapped by strangers a year. Your child is 5x more likely to be struck by lightening (500 in the US a year).

Your child is FAR more likely to be abused by his father, uncle, or your boyfriend than he is a stranger in the bathroom. Less than 15% of childhood sexual abuse is perpetrated by a stranger. 

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM
7 moms liked this
I live in a city where a 9 year old was raped at target in the mens room and another boy age 8 I think, was molested in the restroom of barnes and nobles. Screw you, I'll take my son to the ladies until I FEEL, he's ready and old enough to go alone.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

And that ought to be around 5. A 5 year old without disabilities should be able to go into a bathroom and take care of buisiness. Otherwise, how are they going to do it at school? You know they go in there alone!!! A 12 year od is old enough to care for another child (by babysitting laws) and some people on here say that they won't allow their child to be peeing alone? 

CUT THE CORD

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in a city where a 9 year old was raped at target in the mens room and another boy age 8 I think, was molested in the restroom of barnes and nobles. Screw you, I'll take my son to the ladies until I FEEL, he's ready and old enough to go alone.

staci1103
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM
3 moms liked this
It all depends on each parent and what they feel is best for their own child. Each child is different so to say they should or shouldnt go in alone at a set age is absurd. Some kids r ready at 5 and some not til their 7-8. You take care of ur childs bathroom needs and Ill take care of mine....deal????
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

No, because you are infringing on my child's right to privacy as a young girl by bringing a boy who has started puberty into the bathroom (and often CHANGING ROOM) with her. (Puberty begins, on average in boys at 9, and sometimes as early as 6)

Quoting staci1103:

It all depends on each parent and what they feel is best for their own child. Each child is different so to say they should or shouldnt go in alone at a set age is absurd. Some kids r ready at 5 and some not til their 7-8. You take care of ur childs bathroom needs and Ill take care of mine....deal????

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Except when your child is that 15%.  MYODB

Heisenberg
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree. It's fear based propaganda and while you are spending a ton of time and energy worrying about the non threats, you can easily miss the real risks.

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

You know what perecentage of boys that works out to be? .3%

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Except when your child is that 15%.  MYODB

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
3 moms liked this

When a child goes to the bathroom in school he/she is around other kids their age, not grown people.  Big difference between a school bathroom and a public restroom in a crowded store.

Quoting faire_jour:

And that ought to be around 5. A 5 year old without disabilities should be able to go into a bathroom and take care of buisiness. Otherwise, how are they going to do it at school? You know they go in there alone!!! A 12 year od is old enough to care for another child (by babysitting laws) and some people on here say that they won't allow their child to be peeing alone? 

CUT THE CORD

Quoting Anonymous:

ProudMommaBear
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I think parents should do what they feel comfortable doing...
ceckyl
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Yup.

Quoting Heisenberg:

I agree. It's fear based propaganda and while you are spending a ton of time and energy worrying about the non threats, you can easily miss the real risks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN