Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Were you taught to clean?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 66 Replies
So I was wondering as I was deep cleaning my fridge the other night, something I've never seen my mother do.
I was never taught how to clean really. I mean I knew how to pick up after myself, but really cleaning.
My mom wasn't dirty or anything but messy. We were never really home much as she worked long hours and se did sports. Weekends were relaxed and we cleaned when things got to messy instead of maintaining.

I've been out of the house and with my husband for 6yrs and it's been a process figuring out how to take care of a home. There's a lot if rings you don't think about if you aren't specifically taught. Like cleaning under the stove top, cleaning cupboard shelves, the vacuums! My mil taught me that, like taking out the filter and washing it etc.
I'm pretty good now, but I still fall behind sometimes.

So were you taught, how does that effect you now.
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatLee42513
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
i grew up with a ton of animals & currently have a ton of animalso so deep cleaning is and always has been a part of my life.
liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM
My husband and I were both taught as children how to clean. A girl I know was never taught or asked to clean up anything as a kid, now she cleans a dish and acts like she deserves a medal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatLee42513
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I'd recommend doing things on a daily basis so there really isn't any "deep cleaning"...it makes my life easier
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I was not really taught. I observed other people cleaning, and that is what I do. 

Miss.MandyLynn
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM

yes but i hated it when i first moved out now i keep my places super clean bc i got out of hand for years like almost hoardrs bad

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM

yes by 14 we all knew how to do everything...in college I moved in with two girls who didn't know how to do anything, from laundry to clean a bathroom, cook, etc. I subletted and moved out within a month.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Yes at a young age I was taught to cook and clean. I was standing at a stove at the age of 8. I was told by my mom that no one ever taught her how to do anything so when she married my dad, the places got so nasty they had to move 3 times before she learned 0.o The thing was though, after I learned to clean and cook, I did all of it until I moved out =/ I cooked every single night.

jes_eli_0710
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

No. I was taught to clean up after myself and to be tidy but to do any deep cleaning, no. I always saw my mom doing it but she never took me aside to teach me "this is how you deep clean". I just sort of learned on my own. 

beethann
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Nope. I was never taught. I started doing it because my mom never did. 

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM
See laundry was one thing she did specifically teach me because there were times where it wouldn't get done unless I did it. Not because she wouldn't but because of limited time. I would come home from school and start laundry.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

yes by 14 we all knew how to do everything...in college I moved in with two girls who didn't know how to do anything, from laundry to clean a bathroom, cook, etc. I subletted and moved out within a month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)