Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am married and the handyman of the house .... Ask me anything .

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
My DH is not , as he says , mechanically inclined .
I am very handy and do all the household repairs and projects.
My latest project is I am remodeling our kitchen.
So far I have gutted the kitchen ..... Installed new cabinets .... The new stove and refrigerator . I am currently waiting on the granite for our counters.
My next project is to change the fill valve and flapper kits on the toilets.
After that I will be taking out the current sink and cabinet in the main bathroom and installing new.

Ask me anything .
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM

How do you deal with a kitchen in disrepair and feed the family at the same time?  We decided we're not touching the kitchen in a house while we live there ever again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I guess only those worried about the FS problem are posting tonight .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Do you do your projects to code?  Permits and inspections and everything?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

How do you deal with a kitchen in disrepair and feed the family at the same time?  We decided we're not touching the kitchen in a house while we live there ever again.

We have 2 bathrooms. The small amount of time of no kitchen counters or sink are well worth the end result . I have taken pieces of the old counter and carefully placed them on the new cabinets so I have a temp fix for that .
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

You rock!  I love taking matters in my own hands, even when it's things I'm not accustomed to doing.  Home improvement is one of the major things on that list.  I really admire you for taking that on and having the ability to follow through on that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Do you do your projects to code?  Permits and inspections and everything?  

Anything requiring a permit I make sure to get. I absolutely follow codes. Codes are there for a reason. Mostly my families safety. With me gutting the kitchen I actually found problems that I have fixed . Bad electrical codes that were violated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Quoting 3JuJu3:

You rock!  I love taking matters in my own hands, even when it's things I'm not accustomed to doing.  Home improvement is one of the major things on that list.  I really admire you for taking that on and having the ability to follow through on that. 

Thank you very much! I actually get from my mother. She gets it from her father who not could fix anything....but was an inventor of sorts as well !
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM

No questions......I am the same way. I can fix anything better and without making a huge mess than anyone around here, lol

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM

My husband is a recovering rich kid, so he's not mechanically inclined either.  I on the other hand grew up piss poor and am very handy around the house.  It's a nice balance.....He can clean a pool and landscape though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Sassy762:

No questions......I am the same way. I can fix anything better and without making a huge mess than anyone around here, lol

Isn't that the truth !!! Less mess and done right.....lol!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN