Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do people abuse inhalers?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 231 Replies
I have bronchitis, been coughing for almost two weeks now. My chest is tight and I can barely cough up the crap in my chest. At night I can hear myself wheezing. Btw this is a virus, I don't smoke.
Anyway I've tried everything I can at home. Humidifier, hot showers, increasing fluids, mucinex. Nothing is helping and I feel crappy. No fever
Though.

So I go into urgent care. The dr prescribes me a cough suppressant so I can sleep (after I get a lecture on how I don't need an antibiotic. I wasn't looking for an antibiotic, just something to help me breathe!)

So, I get it from the pharmacy and it's a liquid allergy med with codeine. Wtf? I call them back. I don't want this crap. First of all it's liquid. Gross. Second of all it's for allergies which I don't have. And third of all I told them I have no pain. So why codeine?

I ask, can I just get an inhaler or breathing treatment to open my airway. No, the nurse says the dr won't because I don't have the right symptoms. I have to be wheezing. I tell her I AM!! Then she says it probably won't help you anyway. Bronchitis takes 4 weeks to get rid of.

Wtf? First, I feel like they're all on me about trying to get unnecessary antibiotics. I wasn't. And now I feel like a criminal asking for an inhaler. Is there some reason they won't give me one? Like do people abuse them?

I hate to go to the dr and rarely go. They should see that on my chart. I just want something that will help me. I'm not trying to get some med I don't need. It's not like it's coming out of their own pocket. Geez. I don't get why he wouldn't give me one.

ETA - Wow! I'm featured!!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Idk. My dd always gets an inhaler and steroid when she has it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Honestly you're at the tail end of bronchitis anyways, had it about 6 wks ago and I'm better, what helped me was reclining a bit upwards with extra pillows, I was able to sleep for more then 2hrs at a time.
MamaDurff
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe you should see a different doctor. 

People do abuse inhalers though.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Bronchitis does take about a month to get rid of. Not sure the inhaler would help you. The codiene was probably so you could get some sleep.  What worked best for me when I had bronchitis was to take lots of hot showers or just go in the bathroom, close the door and turn the hot water on in the shower so that the bathroom steams up. Also, you might want to try some Mucinex which is sold over the counter if you don't want to take the codiene cough medicine. 

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM
My son gets bronchitis from his allergies all the time. He is on steroids, antibiotics and two inhalers. You need I go to another drs. My sons dr missed the fact he had bronchitis and he almost was admitted to te children's hospital for pnmuinia(sp).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockgal81
by Steph on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM
22 moms liked this

Codeine is a bronchodilator. It's used in allergy and cough medicines because it helps clear the lungs. He gave it in liquid form because it'll take effect quicker and you'll get some relief. 

j3st3r
by Jedi on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Idk. My son and I have asthma. He has allergy triggers and I have a severe mold trigger, so we have inhalers. My ex had bronchitis and they gave him prednisone and advair (sp?).
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM
She said at the beginning of the post that Mucinex did not help.

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Bronchitis does take about a month to get rid of. Not sure the inhaler would help you. The codiene was probably so you could get some sleep.  What worked best for me when I had bronchitis was to take lots of hot showers or just go in the bathroom, close the door and turn the hot water on in the shower so that the bathroom steams up. Also, you might want to try some Mucinex which is sold over the counter if you don't want to take the codiene cough medicine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Even though your chart to them says you don't go often doesn't mean much. People hop form doctor to doctor to get things. I have asthma so I always have an inhaler so don't know what to tell you besides the wheezing you maybe hearing is just stuff caught in the back of your throat it may not be all down in your lungs. Hope you feel better soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
In our town, all the dr charts are linked electronically. They even had in their computer that I had gone to a dermatologist 2 yrs ago for a rash!!
But I guess I could have gone out of town but whatever.
When I'm trying to relax and my breathing slows, as I exhale I hear a whistle noise. If I kind of bear down and force the exhale, it gets louder. Is that not a wheezing sound??

Quoting Anonymous:

Even though your chart to them says you don't go often doesn't mean much. People hop form doctor to doctor to get things. I have asthma so I always have an inhaler so don't know what to tell you besides the wheezing you maybe hearing is just stuff caught in the back of your throat it may not be all down in your lungs. Hope you feel better soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured