Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child care through DHS problem

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
This past summer, my friend asked me if I could watch her 2 girls for her while she worked. I am a sahm, so I figured I would help her out. She is low income, so I would be getting paid by DHS. I filled out all the paperwork and took the orientation class to be certified. All she had to do was have my name added to her file so I could get paid. I watched her kids all summer, but never got any billing forms or anything.

Every week or so throughout summer I called the direct pay unit to see what I needed to do, and they told me that I still hadn't been added to her file, so she needed to call them. I told her over and over to add me, and she always said "oh I'll do that today". Here is it, months later, and she still has not added me. I've called DHS, the direct pay unit, and care connections, and they all tell me I can't do anything about it until she adds me to her file.

I've texted her several times this week and called her and left messages, but she will not call me back. I'm sort of stuck in limbo right now. I didn't watch her kids because we needed the money, I was just trying to help out a friend. After watching and feeding her kids all summer, it would be nice to actually be paid for it!

I want to add that they were horrible about communication all summer. I was supposed to have then mon-thurs 8-5. They would constantly show up hours late without letting me know, or not show up at all, and on the weekends they would always ask me to watch the girls for them. I always had to remind her that I could not do the weekends.

I know now that I was just being used for a place to dump her kids.

What would you do in this situation? Should I just write it off, or pursue other ways to get my money? I don't know who else I can call or talk to about this, so if anyone has experience with state child care, who can I talk with?

EDIT
I no longer watch the kids, I only watched them from the beginning of summer until school started back again.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodit2u
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I would send her a message saying that you can no longer watch her kids... effective immediately.

.PinkHart.
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I would just call it a loss and let it go.
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Take her to small claims court. Not sure there is much you can do beyond that, and YES, pursue it.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have copies of the paperwork that you filled out for her/DHS???

If so sue her ass in civil court and never watch the kids again

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Based on the fact you said DHS and an orientation, I assume you are in MI?

If the CRU is not able to see you as the approved provider, it probably means the parent never put in her CDC application to her worker

You are being seriously taken advantage of, and even if she applies now, chances are you wont be eligible to back bill past 90 days anyways

I would walk away now
Mom2RSD
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I wouldn't consider her a friend first of all. Secondly You got screwed. Tell her you aren't watching her kids anymore. And that she can either pay up or you'll take her to small claims court. I don't if DHS will pay for back child care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Stop watching the kids. And that chick is not your friend
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I haven't watched then since the start of school.

Quoting woodit2u:

I would send her a message saying that you can no longer watch her kids... effective immediately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I'm in OR. I haven't watched the girls since school started. I know she was approved for child care, and I personally sent in all my paperwork, so I know that stuff is done. The only thing I couldn't do was add myself to her file, which sucks.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Based on the fact you said DHS and an orientation, I assume you are in MI?

If the CRU is not able to see you as the approved provider, it probably means the parent never put in her CDC application to her worker

You are being seriously taken advantage of, and even if she applies now, chances are you wont be eligible to back bill past 90 days anyways

I would walk away now
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I do have copies of paperwork, as well as the letters of approval for being certified through DHS. I would hate to take it to court, I just wish she would add me so I can get paid, it's not like it would be coming out of her pocket ya know.

Quoting Sassy762:

Do you have copies of the paperwork that you filled out for her/DHS???

If so sue her ass in civil court and never watch the kids again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)