Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age is ok to start......

Posted by   + Show Post

Shaving. My DD is 8 and wants to start shaving and is mad at me because I wont let her. I wasn't allowed to shave until I was in middle school. My SD who is almost 13 started shaving at 11 when she started middle school(not my doing but BM). At what age would you let your DD start shaving?

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Replies (81-86):
momaholly
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

it really depends, girls are doing all that stuff so early now days! i hate it. i wasnt allowed to shave my legs until i was 13, i was shaving my arms at 11 i think. but one of my younger sisters started shaving her legs at 12.

i personally would say no, dont let her start shaving yet, she is still a child. i have nieces that are 9 and 10 and they arent shaving yet, noe do they need to.

jaycam
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM

My dd is 8 and she's already wearing sports bras because she has already starting to get boobs My SD is almost 13 and she didn't start getting them untill she was 11 but her grandma had her in bras as soon as my SD wanted them and she was 9 and wasn't even starting to get them. Her grandparents give her whatever she wants. Some kids do develop alot faster then other's I didn't start getting boobs until I was almost in high school. I got called diving board because I was skinny and had no boobs while all the other girls were getting them or had them.

Quoting Anonymous:

So...it she starts getting boobs before her friends, should she not start wearing a bra because they don't yet?

Kids develop at different ages. Including the need to shave.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting jaycam:

She hate's that her legs are hair and when I asked if any of her friends shave theirs she says no. I don't really know what to do about it because a big part of me is with her on the hating being hairy I can't stand it myself but at the same time she's 8 I'm not sure if she's really ready for it.

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

To me it's not about a set age. I always let me girls when they felt uncomfortable. It's no fun being hairy when your friends are not. It has nothing to do with looking sexy it's about personal comfort

I think she can get over it. She is only 8, and none of her friends are shaving. Most girls can always find something about their bodies that they think is embarrassing.I don't think allowing her to obsess over it is helpful.

zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

When it started to bother her, I think about 9.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

MomTo3NMW
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Depends.. I was like 8 or 9 when my mom talked to me about shaving my pits. I didn't start shaving my legs until like 13 or 14 though because I have light hair anyway and it didn't bother me much.

cox3
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM
My dd is 11 and just started shaving her underarms. She is in 5th grade. Probably next year her legs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)