Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much does it cost to cremate a family member?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My mother has severe mental illness and we have not been able to locate her. I have decided to begin to plan and save for funeral expenses. She told me once that she prefers to be cremated but I would like to purchase a monument for a place of peace for myself and her grandchildren ( they are all under 5 years old) How much will it cost to cremate her? Should I pre purchase a plot for the monument and what would be a rough estimate for that? How much could a small funeral and the funeral home cost? Thank you so much for the input. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by Anne on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I don't know if it's different by area so I'd suggest calling local funeral homes to see what they charge

liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM
It varies. When my FIL died, we were told $3500 to cremate. We buried him though. It cost $11k with the casket, we didn't pay for the plot because he was buried in a military cemetery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM

have you ever cremated someone? If so what was the cost of that?

Quoting crescentstar2:

I don't know if it's different by area so I'd suggest calling local funeral homes to see what they charge

crescentstar2
by Anne on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM

only my great gran was that I remember but I don't know what it cost, sorry. I do know it's a lot cheaper than being buried 

Quoting Anonymous:

have you ever cremated someone? If so what was the cost of that?

Quoting crescentstar2:

kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Cremation is always cheaper than funerals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM
You could always do cremation and make a little remembrance area in your yard. Place the monument in an area add a bench or 2. Plant flowers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2bahandcch
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:26 AM
When we had my mom done, it was about $800.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM

thank you 

Quoting liss.n.chris:

It varies. When my FIL died, we were told $3500 to cremate. We buried him though. It cost $11k with the casket, we didn't pay for the plot because he was buried in a military cemetery.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I NY around 1400 not including the urn

Mommytoaangel
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
To cremate my twins josephðan was 1,500 that was urns funreal service engraving urns an cremation an rental of casket for funreal service
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured