Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Long rant....Boys Will be Boys I'm told

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
2 moms liked this
I am so upset as a parent right now and can't seem to get over the situation that happened today with my oldest son. My oldest son is 11 yrs old and loves playing football. He knows that when he's at home, and not at practice, the rule is to play tag football outside with his friends on the neighborhood playground. Because it's mostly concrete on the playground. Well today, 3 grown men who were uncles and a dad to some of the boys outside playing with my son, thought it would be a bright idea to have the boys play tackle football(I didn't know this at the time until it was too late, some of the kids and my son told me the whole story after the fact). Well, my son was apparently getting the most tackles and playing a little too rough, so one of the dads scream for his son and nephews to run my son over and hurt him! Once I heard this out of the window, my reaction was to run outside to stop this and make my son come in the house...but, 3 boys were already running over to me to tell me my son was slammed on his head pretty bad on the concrete. At that point, I went into momma bear, kill mode and ran to my son who was bleeding from his head with the biggest goose egg ever. To make a long story short, I had words with the dad and uncles and kept asking them how could they encourage their children to hurt my son out of retaliation. I mean if they felt my son was being a little too rough, I seriously would've respected them making my son stop or come and get me, but they decided to tell their sons to make my child pay! All the men kept saying boys will be boys. So my question is this: What if my son had swelling on the brain and died? Would boys be boys then? If my son would've did that to one of those boys, would those same dads feel like oh well boys would be boys then? I am an adult who will supervise all children on the playground and make sure no one's hurting anyone, but I met parents today who encouraged the opposite! I am so livid right now, and hurt for my son. I honestly felt helpless, because as a single parent and mother, I felt like those men didn't take me serious or cared what I was preaching. I just feel like a big time failure as a mom for not having my son's father around. But there;s nothing I can even do about that, because my son's father is strung out on drugs and chooses not to be around. What would any of you ladies would have done in this situation? Do any of your husbands encourage your sons to be aggressive to other kids? How do the men in your lives feel about this kind of thing? My son feel like I embarrassed him for coming out yelling at the men like I did, but what else should I have done? I just feel like I can't do anything right! Sorry so long, I just needed to vent and feel really upset. Any honest feedback, good or bad I guess would help. I just need to keep my mind occupied before I do anything stupid.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I would have called the cops on those assholes. Is your son okay?? Did you take him to the ER???

VinVanMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I would have taken him to the dr and told them to get ready for the bill. They should have stopped the game if it was out of hand or come and gotten you or sent him home. They're big adult idiots. They're lucky he is ok. 

autodidact
by Snarknado on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM
8 moms liked this

first boys will be boys, later they will be bullies and fuckheads and rapists, because their behavior was excused and encouraged rather than corrected. 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM
2 moms liked this
That is not boys will be boys.

I'd have gone ape shit on the grown ass men.
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Men will be idiots.

That's all I got. Is your son ok?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Yes ladies my son turned out to be okay, and we got back from the ER an hour ago, but this still lingers on my mind. I so wanted to call the police, but these men were trying to say my son was being rough with their sons first. When I see kids being to rough outside, I tell them all to be careful and not so rough, I wouldn't dare encourage my son to hurt anyone's child...ever. These men just kept saying over and over, boys will be boys and my son was being too aggressive. Even if that is true, was that a good reason to lead your child to nearly kill mine instead of scolding my son? I rather for them to scold my child than tell their kids to hurt him....my God.
kymom23
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I hope your son is ok!! OMG!! I would have went off on those assholes! And I HATE that saying, boys will be boys!!! It's a bullshit excuse for when a parent doesn't want to deal with their kids!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I did go crazy on them, but they were all mamming me and speaking to me calmly like I was the maniac. I  felt frustrated and was not gettting through to them. I can't lie, I felt like if I would've hit one of them, they would have hurt me. I just felt helpless all around, all I could do was scream, cry and yell.

Shy_Dia
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

as a mom, you did the right thing.

thankfully, my son's dad isnt really involved in DS's life... but his bio-dad is exactly like those jackass guys. he'd rather my son punch somebody, for just looking at him wrong. wtf. he's 7. he doesnt know what a 'wrong look' looks like. i'm not gonna raise a gang banging wanna be thug like his dad is. dont get me wrong- my son will know how to protect himself... but to go out looking for a fight, or retailiate b/c their men feelings got hurt- i'd go after my boy first before he did all that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I so agree with this 100%.  I'm just going to sit outside for now on and watch my son play. When I sense the slightest trouble brewing, we're going inside. I'm not raising gang bangers, I'm trying my best to raise good decent boys who know when and how to defend themselves....when necessary. I'm trying to raise my boys to be decent men someday, but running into these type of parents really panics me, if that makes some sort of sense. I don't want my son to be a push over, but I don't want to raise him to be a brute either.

Quoting Shy_Dia:

as a mom, you did the right thing.

thankfully, my son's dad isnt really involved in DS's life... but his bio-dad is exactly like those jackass guys. he'd rather my son punch somebody, for just looking at him wrong. wtf. he's 7. he doesnt know what a 'wrong look' looks like. i'm not gonna raise a gang banging wanna be thug like his dad is. dont get me wrong- my son will know how to protect himself... but to go out looking for a fight, or retailiate b/c their men feelings got hurt- i'd go after my boy first before he did all that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)