Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No MIL, I am not cleaning out my fridge for you

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 435 Replies
7 moms liked this

MIL is supposed to be staying with us for the week of Thanksgiving. She told me that she needs to make sure the entire house is free from stuff that she can't have (she is a diabetic and has no self control) so everything has to be sugar free (which BTW most of the stuff is horrible for you). . I have 2 kids at home ( 7 and 3) and I am pregnant. I don't want them or me eating all of that sugar free crap, the have a well balanced diet that yes, does include treats. I am not going to make them give those up for a week because MIL can't control herself. The other thing is, with diabetes being so much about portion control, MIL could mess up her blood sugar by eating too much rice, bread or potatoes, so unless we are going to keep only meat and veggies in the house, she is going to have to exercise some self control. She is flying in so I told her that on the way home from the airport, I will be happy to take her to the store and let her pick our some sugar free things just for herself or she can give me a list of a few things and I will get them. I will tell my kids not to eat her stuff but I am going to have their stuff too.

She said she can't possibly stay with us if there is going to be cookies and regular ice cream in the house. I told her "I am sorry you feel that way, please let me know where you will be staying".

Then she went to DH, I told him what was going on too. He sees it both ways BUT he doesn't eat sweets and crabs, he just doesn't like them (he eat beef jerky like there is no tomorrow though) so for him, not having any in the house would be no big deal but for me and the kids, it's not going to happen, especially for someone who will likely load up on carbs at dinner anyway.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM
6 moms liked this
It's just a week. Holy crap. Hide some fun size candy in your purse while she's there.
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM
90 moms liked this

I told her "I am sorry you feel that way, please let me know where you will be staying".

You handled this well. Good for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM
41 moms liked this

No, because I have kids. She will have her sugar free crap that I will not feed to my kids (or myself) but so we are expected to just sit and watch her eat it. We are not going to do that. I am happy to provide sugar free snacks for her but I am not also going to not have stuff for us. She needs to grow up and have some self control

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just a week. Holy crap. Hide some fun size candy in your purse while she's there.

mommieof38829
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM
16 moms liked this
Sorry but I wouldn't change anything in my house for anyone. She should learn how to control herself
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM
8 moms liked this
That's so dumb! I can't have gluten or diary and if I do I get horribly sick. I never ever ask anyone to make everything gluten and diary free for me. That's just crazy!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM
4 moms liked this

Buy the sweets for you and the kids and stash it somewhere in your bedroom for the week. I don't see the big deal really. 

abrine7673
by Awesome Possum on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM
8 moms liked this
Really? What a loon. If she can't control herself that isn't your problem. And what are you supposed to do with all the stuff you already have? Throw it away?
askyourmother
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM
3 moms liked this
She's an adult. She should know how to control her diabetes by now. It's her own fault for not having self control.
handy0318
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM
13 moms liked this

I'm a firm believer in people with health issues taking responsibilities for those issues. It's both unreasonable and rude to disrupt another person's household for your own personal convenience. 

You've asked her to let you know where she'll be staying... from now on, let your dh handle her. He can "see it both ways"... but he should understand that her expectations are unreasonable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM
36 moms liked this

I am not sure how I am to put frozen or things that need refrigerating in my room. Also, I am not going to hide food in my own home. It is my kitchen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Buy the sweets for you and the kids and stash it somewhere in your bedroom for the week. I don't see the big deal really. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)