Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I find it a little insulting that my mom refuses to learn sign language.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 153 Replies
2 moms liked this

My DS is deaf and has been since birth. He knows sign language but really struggles to read lips. Everyone in our immediate family knows a great deal of sign. My dad probably knows more than I do and my step mom is always meeting up with me so I can teach her. My mom however refuses. She won't even learn the basics. I've been begging her to learn so she can communicate with her grandson, but she is just a fucking bitch and has the nerve to say I'm crippling him by not making him learn to read lips better. He does in fact take classes, but it's still extremely difficult for him to understand more than a few words at a time. I'm not going to force him him to take extra classes because he already tries so hard in school. Shes the adult, she should be the one to learn. 

At this point I'm so over her. Shes not tricker-treating with us. My SM already volunteered to replace her. What a bitch. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I'm sorry. I would be upset too. Did you have a good relationship with her before this?
lilmoosesmom
by Cat on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I am sorry she's being such a bitch. Your son is better off without her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Maybe she has a really difficult time picking it up and feels embarrassed.

LaffItUpFzbl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I'm so sorry. Keep in mind that learning something new really frightens some people. It calls to mind their own possible learning issues and they may feel it sets them up for failure. 

Having her spend more time, not less, with your son might help. She'll learn by simply being around him more. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My friends son is deaf.  I learned sign for him.  I am by no means great at it. But I know the basics and learn more daily,  I can also finger spell.  I learned so we can have him over to play with dd and his mom doesn't have to come with.  I learned because he is my dds friend and my friends son.  I would certainly learn for a family member. 

wagners7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

She is probably embarrassed that she is not picking it up well or doesn't understand it and probably feels like she is losing again to the Step Mom.  But to flat out refuse is childish, rather than just reaching out saying she is having trouble.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I think you are the one being a B. your son has the disability, stop trying to push it on others. I wouldn't learn it either
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Not really. When my dad left her she became bitter. I understand her being upset with my dad, but she always tried to turn me against my dad. He has always been there for me and supported me through thick and thin, I can't say the ame for my mom

Quoting LilysMama719:

I'm sorry. I would be upset too. Did you have a good relationship with her before this?

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Her loss.

There are two basic threads in def education, one is 'Total Communication' and the other is reading lips and learning to talk like hearies - and some people can do the latter and some are gifted in how well they can do that.

The Total Communication concept is newer and is more the trend today in most educational settings.   The person uses whatever tools work best for him.

I will say, though, if your son would benefit from more lip reading classes, you should get the classes for him, don't let your pita mom bias you there.   There are an awful lot of people in the world who don't sign and it can help a person immensely to be able to communicate with them.

For kids with multiple handicaps and mental reatardation often the only thing that made any sense was just focusing on what they were most able to do.   With an individual who is destined to join the general work force, lip reading is an extremely important skill.   And it takes a long time to learn so please don't let your mom color your decisions there.

She's being a pain in the rear, but you have to be realistic about the general work force and realize that few people out there in the world sign.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM
10 moms liked this

Obviously you are a horrible person  who cares nothing for your family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you are the one being a B. your son has the disability, stop trying to push it on others. I wouldn't learn it either

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)