Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Makes Her Son Walk Home on the Freeway in the Dark - Would YOU?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 98 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mom Makes Her Son Walk Home on the Freeway in the Dark & We Get It!

by Michele Zipp

dark highwayWe've all had those moments in parenthood where our kid has pushed us to the brink of insanity and we imagine breaking apart every one of those Matchbox cars and throwing them out the window in an adult-sized tantrum. Some of us may have even asked others if they would like to adopt that unbearable child for a day (or more) but in a kidding way of course. Kids give us so much joy and love and boogies wiped on our clothes but they also give us agita. And that's when we have to go inside ourselves and do a little breathe in, breathe out count to 10 slowly before we react sometimes. Or we can go too far. Such is the case of Angela Garcia who was arrested for kicking her son out of the car and making him walk home on a highway in the dark.

The League City, Texas, mom apparently got into an argument with her 10-year-old while driving. It was around 8:30 p.m. She pulled over. Forced him out. And told him to walk home on I-45. Not the best idea, but I still don't want to judge her for this.

We are human. Even moms. All parents are. We may seem superhuman most of the time because we are able to bring a life into this world and keep it alive for that wild first year and then manage to pull ourselves together and juggle life and work and family and actually taking a shower most days. Alas we are human. We make mistakes.

It was reported that Garcia stuck around -- she didn't speed home leaving her kid in the dust. She drove about 300 feet ahead of her son, but because it was so dark out, the child had no idea his mom (and his brother who was inside the car) didn't just completely abandon him. He walked for 15 minutes before a passerby alerted the police.

League City Police Officer Reagan Pena told My Fox Houston, "Making your child walk home on I-45 at 8:30 at night in the dark, in a busy stretch where many fatalities have occurred, that is crossing the line. The freeway is not the place to teach your child a lesson." Fair enough. I agree. It's a dangerous place. But it happened. Garcia reacted in a way that we may have thought of reacting in similar circumstances.

There are moments I have in my everyday with my kids that if someone saw just that one moment in time, they would think I'm an awful mother. A terrible person. Snapshots. Seconds. We cannot judge. We don't know the full extent of what's going on, what went on. Sure, leaving your kid on a dark highway isn't a great idea. And I would guess that Garcia knows that. She probably feels awful about it. She probably regrets it. But haven't we all regretted something? Have we all done something we wish we didn't? Haven't we all made mistakes? Thing is, in parenting, it's like we aren't allowed to. The stakes are too high. Which makes the pressure more challenging, too.

The 34-year-old mom was charged with abandonment and endangering a child. Bond was set at $7,500. In this case, I think the mom learned a lesson -- and we can learn from it, too. But it's not just a lesson that we shouldn't force our kids out of the car and walk in the dark after we argue with them. It's not just about how we all need to slow down and really stop and think, especially in the most heated times. It has to do more with not judging other parents on one action. And learning ... from everything and everyone.

What do you think of this story? Have you ever been in a predicament with your kids and you felt judged by others? Have you ever felt what you assume this mom felt?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM
13 moms liked this

I think that mom is nuts and incompetent.  Yes, we all make mistakes as parents, but putting your child's life at risk is inexcusable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
If she really only went 300 feet then how did the police have time to get involved? I don't buy her distance. A football field isn't that far on a highway. Dark or not he would have seen her taillights and she would have seen a passerby stop.
jaycam
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No i would never make them walk home from anywhere for being bad.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Preteens are assholes. But she went too far. This wasn't just a mistake, or whatever. What she did was plain stupid. And no, I would never do the same.
LaffItUpFzbl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

There's a huge difference between teaching your child a lesson and endangering their lives. It's not even legal to walk on most interstates and freeways, not to mention how hugely dangerous it is. She is dumb and darned lucky that this little stunt only garnered some legal trouble and not a trip to the hospital or a funeral. 

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm judging that mom... you bet I am. That was dangerous and inexcusable. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Not a smart move on the moms behalf. she needs to learn to control her anger. 

Photo: -Randi.

liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM
A 10 year old? No I wouldn't do that to a 10 year old. What an idiotic bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM
That's what I'm wondering.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she really only went 300 feet then how did the police have time to get involved? I don't buy her distance. A football field isn't that far on a highway. Dark or not he would have seen her taillights and she would have seen a passerby stop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I "made" my kid and her friend walk home once.  They were loud and obnoxious.  We were leaving the pool in the neighborhood.  It was about four streets away and they were 10. On a busy street or anywhere outside the neighborhood? No freaking way.  

When end I say I made them walk home I offered a choice....tone it down or walk. They chose to walk.  Our neighborhood is super quiet and not close to any main roads so most kids roam the neighborhood anyway. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)