Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poor DH :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

DH has a great job (the man works for Dell...they've been great to us), but with upcoming extra expenses (IE: Thanksgiving and Christmas!) he's considering a second job :( He works hard enough as it is, and my DD would never see him if he got another job...and all for Christmas. She's only 3 so it's not like she'll remember if she got like, 2 things under the tree!

I mean, we have money in savings but its going towards buying a house and I refuse to touch it for something as trivial as Christmas, y'know? I'm looking for part time evening work (I'm a SAHM) but with me being pregnant with #2, he doesn't want me on my feet working out of the home but thinks if I could find some work-from-home job, that would be fine. I guess he doesn't understand the vast majority of them are scams. Lame.

I just don't want him to work himself ragged over something silly like Christmas.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We get one or two items they really really want then give them cheaper shit similar to what they asked for and make sure to wrap it up individually. Kids don't need alot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Exactly!

I feel that way, and he agrees, but he's worried about our nieces and nephews and crap like that :/ My SIL has 5 kids...I don't want to buy crap for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

We get one or two items they really really want then give them cheaper shit similar to what they asked for and make sure to wrap it up individually. Kids don't need alot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I totally agree with this! We have never gone 'over-board' with our kids for Christmas ever! Our older kids who are too old for toys, get money from "Santa." Our two younger kids (8-year-old and 5-year-old) we get them 2 'big' presents and a bunch of smaller stuff from the dollar store. They are in HEAVEN when we do this!

My mom doesn't like Christmas. She buys my kids clothes, shoes, etc throughout the year. She always reminds them that all of the stuff she buys throughout the year is their 'Christmas present' from her and they are fine with it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

DH has a crap-load of nieces/nephews on his side of the family! (I only have one older sister who chose not to have children, so there are no nieces/nephews on my side of the family). Anyway, we decided years ago, that none of his brothers/sisters would be buying our kids anything, and we are not expected to buy any of their kids anything!! It works out GREAT!! I LOVE not having to buy crap for a bunch of kids I rarely ever see! Only a couple of the nieces/nephews live close to us. Its what works for everyone around here! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly!

I feel that way, and he agrees, but he's worried about our nieces and nephews and crap like that :/ My SIL has 5 kids...I don't want to buy crap for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM

See, like I said, our 3 year old has never gotten a lot. I just don't think there's a reason to get a 3 year old a ton of stuff, y'know? She also has my dad and stepmom, my mom and stepdad to buy something for her. And her room is full of toys. DH agrees with all of this, but he's worried about his family.

IE: My SIL has 5 kids, then his mom's birthday is around Christmas, etc. I just don't want to buy crap for his HUGE family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I totally agree with this! We have never gone 'over-board' with our kids for Christmas ever! Our older kids who are too old for toys, get money from "Santa." Our two younger kids (8-year-old and 5-year-old) we get them 2 'big' presents and a bunch of smaller stuff from the dollar store. They are in HEAVEN when we do this!

My mom doesn't like Christmas. She buys my kids clothes, shoes, etc throughout the year. She always reminds them that all of the stuff she buys throughout the year is their 'Christmas present' from her and they are fine with it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

See, we see his family quite often. They only live an hour away so we're able to go visit often.

Quoting Anonymous:

DH has a crap-load of nieces/nephews on his side of the family! (I only have one older sister who chose not to have children, so there are no nieces/nephews on my side of the family). Anyway, we decided years ago, that none of his brothers/sisters would be buying our kids anything, and we are not expected to buy any of their kids anything!! It works out GREAT!! I LOVE not having to buy crap for a bunch of kids I rarely ever see! Only a couple of the nieces/nephews live close to us. Its what works for everyone around here! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM

As for extra $$    ...  Are you on facebook?  Do you have anything you can sell?  If the answer to both of those is yes, check out some of your local facebook pages.  Most towns & surrounding areas have "buy & sell"  or "swap & shop", "bit it" and all sorts of other combinations.   For safety purposes it's best to arrange meet ups in public places (like a grocery store parking lot or something)  

One of the advantages that over something like ebay is that you don't have shipping costs.  Also can be better than craigslist if you don't have a really close craigslist town. 

Andreaaa81
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

if she is three just get her one gift, or go hog-wild at the dollar store. Seriously no need to get all worked up. My husband and I don't give eachother gifts at all. We know that it is better just to get something for the baby. Let him relax and maybe take 20 bucks and help you buy dollar store stocking stuffers for the kid....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I live in a large town with an awesome Craigslist. We sell stuff throughout the year and have garage sales just to declutter around here (we have a fairly small place) so no, nothing to really sell, though that's a great idea!

Quoting Anonymous:

As for extra $$    ...  Are you on facebook?  Do you have anything you can sell?  If the answer to both of those is yes, check out some of your local facebook pages.  Most towns & surrounding areas have "buy & sell"  or "swap & shop", "bit it" and all sorts of other combinations.   For safety purposes it's best to arrange meet ups in public places (like a grocery store parking lot or something)  

One of the advantages that over something like ebay is that you don't have shipping costs.  Also can be better than craigslist if you don't have a really close craigslist town. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I'm not concerned about our DD and neither is he. He knows we'll get her a few things easily. What he's worried about is his huge family (5 nieces and nephews), his mom's birthday is around Christmas, etc.

I think its ridiculous!

Quoting Andreaaa81:

if she is three just get her one gift, or go hog-wild at the dollar store. Seriously no need to get all worked up. My husband and I don't give eachother gifts at all. We know that it is better just to get something for the baby. Let him relax and maybe take 20 bucks and help you buy dollar store stocking stuffers for the kid....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)