Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Selfish Reasons You Gave Up Breastfeeding.

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM
  • 64 Replies
Go anon, if you need to. This is my first time exclusively breastfeeding, we're 4 weeks in and the part that blows the most is the fact I can't indulge in my dirty habit; wine. Yes, I know you can have a glass here and there and blah blah blah, safe to nurse, pump some bottles...but in the end, ultimately I feel guilty-I can't even enjoy it. I love the connection, the convenience but breastfeeding does have its selfish set backs...what is yours? Did you ultimately give in?

SHUT THE FUCK UP

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I gave up because it took too long for my milk to come in fully.  It seemed like I was spending all day with either a baby attached to me or attempting to pump.  The most I could get is a couple of ounces a session.  I could handle the soreness, but it seemed like I couldn't do anything else.  I was even seeing a lactation consultant from the beginning since both of my kids had trouble latching on.  I wanted to have enough milk so that I could pump and go back to work, but after a couple of months I just gave in and did formula full time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

my oldest child had reflux, and it didn't seem to matter what I removed from my diet.  this was waaaaay before reflux was diagnosed in infants, and the only thing that worked was switching to soy formula.

the other two had reflux too, but I never even tried it with them.  I now take maintenance medication that does not mix with breastfeeding.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Nope, I lost my milk by six months with my first daughter because of bad advice from the pedi. My current baby is eight months and we are still going strong, even with only one working breast and I plan on weaning her when she is ready. I know what you mean though, I used to have a glass of wine several nights a week and I don't even have that anymore because my daughter had severe respiratory issues as a newborn and I don't want to risk any alcohol. Oh well, alcohol will always be there later and my babies are only babies for a short time! :)

bcoll
by Brandi on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I nursed all of mine for the first year, I will again with this one. I'm sure not going till two or longer is seen as selfish to some.

4everJs
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I don't need to go anonymous. I'm not ashamed. I didn't breast feed either of my children because I am just irked by having my breasts touched and the thought of having them suckled at...I couldn't deal with it. I just knew it wasn't something I did not want to do. It might have something to do with some traumatic childhood events. Or it may be just me being completely selfish.

Both my kids are doing well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I spent 6 months on medication trying to get my milk to come in so I could breastfeed. Then my son was born 5 weeks early with a cleft lip, he needed surgery and the nicu. When he finally came home it was so hard to get him to latch, and was so frustrating for both of us that I gave it up after a week
elliem87
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I couldn't eat enough to produce milk. I was hungry all the dang time.

Wanted to so badly to keep it up too.
SnapShotMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM

i was 18, had no support, not even from the hosp, had no clue lactation consaults, and thought it was weird...I regret it but back then thats just how it was. i bf my second past 2 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

actually breastfeeding agreed with me. BIG TIME! I ended at 20 months b/c i felt like i was doing it more for my needs at that point rather than ds. I didn't want to go until three years old just b/c i enjoyed it if it was going to ostracize him etc. Hang in there. The first weeks are the hardest. By four or fivem onths you'll love breastfeeding (and all the weight loss!)

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I never started - except with my first and I only breasted her at all because I felt pressured into it.  I stopped with her for medical reasons (her's).  Life was so much better once she was on bottles.  We didn't even consider breast feeding for our other four babies.  I loved that DH (and the older siblings) could bond during feeding with bottles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN