Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do we demonize women of a smaller size?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 290 Replies
9 moms liked this
I'm small in height and weight (5"1, size 2), and always have been. I'm certainly not boney, nor am I underweight. I also come from a family of small women too, none of us have food issues, it's just the way we are..

Throughout my life I've had curvier women criticise me for my weight, even to the point where a former roomate constantly harassed me because "skinnies aren't real, it's disgusting, nobody should look like that." And "people like you aren't just a bad influence, you're the reason young girls kill themselves trying to be thin." However I never said a word about her morbid obesity (She was over 350 lbs and happy to remind me of it.), though I did call her a stupid b in anger a few times.

Though she wasn't the only one, plenty of others and even strangers have even commented.. I just don't get it, I'd get rocks thrown and my behind beaten if I told a larger lady she was fat or that she needed to change her order in a restaurant, so why is it acceptable for others to do it to me?

Are naturally slim women so offensive?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
4 moms liked this

Sorry I never heard any of that when I was thin. I am 5 foot and right know over weight and lots find it ok to bash me for me weight.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

what is this, body size day?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM
12 moms liked this

I don't know. Personally, I've never seen that. The skinny women who walk around going, "I'm so fat!" get on my damn nerves, but aside from that I've never met anyone who said they were looked down on for being a healthy weight.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I'm short. I've never felt demonized for being short. 

Mazi184
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM
47 moms liked this
*shurgs* I've been called a manly bc I'm toned, I just let it roll off my shoulder.

I agree that fat shaming is demonized, but telling a "skinny bitch" to go eat a cheeseburger is okay. Or saying "REAL women have curves."

Body shaming of all shapes needs to stop.
We are all woman.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
4 moms liked this

Idk.  In my family I grew up being teased because I wasn't obese like everyone else.  I am an only child and my parents worked long days so my nanny cooked all three of my meals and she only cooked healthy foods.  I hated weekends because it was fried everything.  If my mom and dad could batter on it and deep fat fry it they did.  My whole family ate that way which is why all are obese.  They say it is genetics but I am proof that isn't the case.  All of my relatives who have exercised and made a few diet changes have lost weight quickly but they didn't like the bullying from other family members and would put the weight back on. 

If I had a penny for every time I heard I am anorexic from my family I would be a millionaire now.  One day my cousin called me many names because I wasn't obese like her she also hit me I got mad and called her fat.  I was grounded for a month nothing happened to her.  That was the norm in my life. 

We live in an overweight and obese world so being fit and healthy is an oddity and many take offense because it highlights how unhealthy they are.  My thoughts are if you have haters you must be doing something right. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
26 moms liked this

I can't tell you how many times ive been told to eat a sandwhich. My common response these days is "well if you would put one down maybe I could" People need to stop being soo dickish to each other.

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Jealousy, silly.
mickstinator
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
5 moms liked this

Yeah, I think most women are kind and polite and see nothing out of the ordinary with a person who naturally has a small stature. Then, there are the women who are very vocal about their discontent with women who somehow manage to be something they really desire to be or believe is impossible to be or whatever the hell their reasoning is to resent smaller people. 

It's not the majority. It's not even a significant minority. It's just a few loud, bitchy women. 

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I remember being very offended in High School when people would ask me if I had an eating disorder, which I did not. I think it is just hard for people to understand that their body does not work in the same way that your body does and that maybe they wish they could naturally have a different shape.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)