Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do we demonize women of a smaller size?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm small in height and weight (5"1, size 2), and always have been. I'm certainly not boney, nor am I underweight. I also come from a family of small women too, none of us have food issues, it's just the way we are..

Throughout my life I've had curvier women criticise me for my weight, even to the point where a former roomate constantly harassed me because "skinnies aren't real, it's disgusting, nobody should look like that." And "people like you aren't just a bad influence, you're the reason young girls kill themselves trying to be thin." However I never said a word about her morbid obesity (She was over 350 lbs and happy to remind me of it.), though I did call her a stupid b in anger a few times.

Though she wasn't the only one, plenty of others and even strangers have even commented.. I just don't get it, I'd get rocks thrown and my behind beaten if I told a larger lady she was fat or that she needed to change her order in a restaurant, so why is it acceptable for others to do it to me?

Are naturally slim women so offensive?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (181-190):
karlamousse4
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Those other women are just jealous. I am going to be honest, I criticize skinny people on tv all the time and then I feel really bad about it because I realize I only said that because I feel bad about myself lol. You ladies look great, and who wouldnt rather be more slender than too fat? Dont let it bother you, they just wish they had your bod ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
When people insult me about how thin I am by telling me to eat a cheeseburger, I make it a point to let them know how lucky I am that I can eat anything I want and not gain weight. Shuts them up every time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarlyEliz
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM
That's your genetics just like I come from big people so its hard for me to lose weight. I'm 302 right now :'( but I don't blame skinny chicks for me being overweight I'm 21 now and I'm in charge of my own life. Yes it didnt help that my mother didnt train me better when it came to eating habits as a kid and I'm gonna do better with my son. But now its up to me alone.
BratPunk
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Ever since I started getting AF I've always been between 120-145 mostly 125-135 I'm 5'4". But I've heard some hateful stuff towards skinny people And those that are overweight... most people look at me like I'm a child most say 20-23 (I'm 29) then go nutty when I say I have a 4 year old. Then if turns into I can be And j wish I was as skinny as u..... go eat something etc etc I then turn around and tl them I can house an entire dominoes pie to myself plus more.... so go ahead and tell me again I don't eat....
woolftwo
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I have never known this to be true. I use to be very slender until I had my thyroid removed and started having other autoimmune problems. But I never had anyone demonize me because I was so thin. In school it was usually the opposite with all the girls saying they wished they could stay so thin with the amount that I always ate. I graduated HS weighing 105 lbs. and 5'8" tall. Then when I started going to night clubs for the dancing I was always complemented from other women there. Usually for my legs, which were about 3' of my height.

So anyway, very sorry you're getting this treatment. It is very wrong and I do hope it gets better for you. I think you should just tell them you were blessed with excellent metabolism.

BEXi
by BEXi on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Yep. I have a very fast metabolism. I am 5'6" and about 118lbs average.

I get the "you need to eat something!" a lot. Even from complete strangers, it makes me very upset because would someone be so nonchalant about telling an overweight person to go work out or starve themselves?

I especially hate it when I get comments WHILE I eat, like "you NEED to be eating a cheeseburger har har har."

It hurts more than people realize. I wish I had bigger arms and thighs. I really do. I DO eat and I LOVE food. I just had four slices of papa johns pizza and already eyeing another.. ;P

BEXi
by BEXi on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Dont even get me started when people find out I have kids... they go from backhanded compliments to just plain rude.

Vcrumell
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

people of all shapes and sizes get made fun of for their weight because people are insecure and need to feel better about themselves. simple as that. Im a big girl, and have never made fun of women for being skinny (in exception to my friends but thats just teasing.) be comfortable in your skin and make sure you aren't being the same about big women.

amberrjoy
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Coming from an overweight girl, I say they're jealous & insecure about their own size. Just brush it off & remind yourself that it's their problem & not yours.
momadrigal
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Don't feel bad, they just jealous that if they want to be small like you they have to work for it. Every metabolisem is different. My mother is small statue and in her 60's, and a size 6 after having 5 kids. She can rock a swim suit with no problem. Everyone is different and now days society is making look fat a crime because of all the illness that comes with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN