Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

High fat diet = healthy? Update *

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 108 Replies
Is it possible to balance high fat and healthy? My daughter is two years old and has a high need for this type of diet and I always struggle keeping her healthy with it.. Everyone wants to give her fried foods and ice cream 24/7.. It's sicking to me.. I swore up and down how I was going to keep her on a healthy diet no matter what.. She is so picky that I give in and give her tater tots just so I know she eats something and always feel horrible . Her nutritionist said I should add butter and olive oil to everything even to pb&j !!

I understand it adds more calories but that can be seriously healthy if I'm doing it all the time, can it?

Today I'm making dinner for my brother father and I, which is chicken and bake beans.. For my daughter I'm making spaghetti, mini pizzas, pb&j and some some what healthy cupcakes lol.. I sound like a short order cook.. But this will last us a few days. And I will also make veggies and give er fruits and yogurts...

My confession is.. I feel like a bad mom because I don't know how to balance fatening and healthy together..

Update*** thank you ladies for all the great advice.. I am defiantly showing this to my family so hopefully they will back off on the fried foods and help my daughter gain weight in a healthy way.
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSwan001
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Bump
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Is your daughter trying to gain weight or does she have a medical condition that needs higher fat (like epilepsy)?

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
10 moms liked this

You have to stick with healthy fats. Nuts, avocado, there are more just Google "healthy fats".

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Avacado, coconut oil and butter are all healthy fats.

Goddesswillow
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

thats not healthy at all, I would find another doctor to see what they say and research foods high in fat that are good for you , like avocados, but avocados dont make a meal so thats all I have for advice since I'm no expert

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM
9 moms liked this
Coconut oil and olive oil to cook...peanut butter, nuts, avocado instead of mayo spread on sandwiches...goat milk and cheese...fatty fish like salmon...homemade mashed potatoes with fresh butter occasionally...quinoa...

There are plenty of things out there besides fried foods...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Coconut oil is amazing. I eat a ton of fats everyday and I'm abnormally healthy.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Monounsaturated-Fats_UCM_301460_Article.jsp

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
A high fat diet can be good for you, but it's also not the same as a junk food diet. Research the healthy way to go about adding natural fats, like buying full-fat dairy products, using coconut oil, consuming a lot of nuts, etc.
wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are good fats. they are *good* for you and are high in calories [not everyone needs high calories, so its always a good plan to limit all fats in the diet.. except when you need to gain weight!].

saturated fats are bad. they will clog up your arteries. these are the ones in "junk" food and processed foods.

read the labels! the fats are conveniently split up for you on the packaging. its a good bet to add real olive oil, coconut oil, and butter to many dishes and avoid fried foods and ice cream.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Google is really your friend for stuff like this. Avocados are high in fat but the healthy kind!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)