Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is whistling at your kids okay to get their attention, or is this like calling your dog?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Is whistling at your child okay to get their attention?

Options:

Always okay... no problem

In crowded areas only or similar

Not okay

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

Do you consider whistling an okay method of getting your child's attention?   My husband and I have differing views on this and I am wondering what other parents think.  Thanks! 

I should also mention that we have very active children (a 5 yr old and 3 yr old twins that love to run!)  BTW... I am the one that cringes at the whistling... 

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nightengale4
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

BUMP!

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think its ok to whistle at your kids. If you're gonna whistle why not just yell their name if needed?
BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
No
cymkare
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see why not. Sometimes you need something like a whistle to grab their attention. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, though. It would stop working. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

nightengale4
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

BUMP!

Katkinson
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I say whatever works, besides screaming at them.  If clapping ( what I do) or whistling grabs their attention and holds it enough so you can relay instructions to them ( we are staying away from the street, you've gone to far, we're going this way, etc) then go for it. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My Dad always snapped his fingers at us, and I do that to my kids now.

Growing up, I always preferred the snap to him calling my name and yelling at me in front of a crowd!  One loud snap and all 3 of us would fall in line next to him, and then he'd quietly explain what whoever was doing wrong.

I think to some degree it is good to have a way to communicate with them that stands out from the noise of a crowd or breaks through something else that has them completely zombified! 

Of course you still teach them how to be polite and such, but then they know when Mom whistles she's serious!

I have seen many other parents use different methods.  Some whistle, some snap, some clap their hands or make a strange sound.

Smokeygirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My dad used to whistle to get us back home. We were able to roam the neighborhood and his whistle is LOUD. Another dad in th neighborhood whistled too, but they sounded different . I think it's fine.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
When we're out I use 'red light/green light'...if they hear me say red light, they stop moving...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

i think its fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN