Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is whistling at your kids okay to get their attention, or is this like calling your dog?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is whistling at your child okay to get their attention?

Options:

Always okay... no problem

In crowded areas only or similar

Not okay

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

Do you consider whistling an okay method of getting your child's attention?   My husband and I have differing views on this and I am wondering what other parents think.  Thanks! 

I should also mention that we have very active children (a 5 yr old and 3 yr old twins that love to run!)  BTW... I am the one that cringes at the whistling... 

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
PoisonEyeV
by β˜† No Ragrets β˜† on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I don't get why it WOULDN'T be okay. So obviously I think it's fine.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother would whistle for us to come home growing up.  She disliked yelling for us, she felt it was crass.  Whistling for us was so common, a neighborhood mocking bird picked up her whistle and we didn't know the difference.  lol.  I whistle for my kid and the cats when it's time to come home.  I think it's better than yelling too.

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a family whistle. We use it often. :D
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't whistle so I really can't say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Seriously?????
Who cares. It's whistling . I don't see the problem. If it works, it's not hurting them.
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I whistle. Works great and no embarrassed kids.
Tairy-Hesticles
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
It could be worse
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I snap at my kids to get their attention, it works for us.

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

nightengale4
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

My issue with it is personal since I only heard people whistle at their dogs growing up, cat calls,  coaching, and at things like sporting events, obviously.  

It was pointed out to me that my first boyfriend in high school used to whistle at me to get my attention. I was so conditioned to turn around to it!  He used to laugh at me, saying that he had me trained like a dog... so... that is the only reason why I am biased and why I cringe when I hear it... and also why I realize that I am likely totally wrong and that it could be totally acceptable :) 

So, this is why I wanted to hear others' opinions that did not have this experience.  I do know that in general it doesn't probably matter, but I needed to check because of my own responses to it... seemed only fair to my husband.  He does use it, and doesn't have a problem with it, but we have noticed that we have gotten a few nasty looks at the Children's museum when he's done this in the past...

nightengale4
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN