Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your child is special needs....

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM
  • 102 Replies

Special needs, I know it's a broad spectrum of diagnosis' (add, autism, add, etc. etc) so I will leave it in the 'special needs' category...onto my question, when your child is having a 'bad' day, what helps calm him/her down? does it happen often? do you have a good support system (family, friends) who can step in when you need to catch your breath? what happens if/when you're public how do you ease the situation? will your child be able to function (In your opinion) as an adult? -I mean no offense just curious! and, when they're having a good day, is it often? do your children taking medication? add pics if you want, I would LOVE to see them

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM

BUMP!

Cooperfamily
by Ashley on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Jayden is 5 yrs old. He's been in therapy since he was 18 months but was diagnosed in march of this year. He is aggressive at times and although we have a lot of stuff to work on, such as potty training, feeding therapy and a host of other things, that is my main focus because I don't want him growing up thinking that's ok. He has autism. Moderate to severe. On his bad days he's aggressive and constantly melting down. On his good days, he's willing to work on his school work with me, he's willing to listen and cuddle with me. I calm him down by using his weighted vest or a safety hold to stop him from banging his head. My mom and all 6 of his doctors, 4 of his therapist, school teachers, and state case manager are huge support system for my him and me. In my opinion he will always live with me, but he will not use his diagnoses as an excuse to not work hard or be disrespectful. He is on medication and that's because he has adhd also. In public, if he acts out, he knows he won't get a toy and I explain why. I get down to his level and let him know that I refuse to reward him for bad behavior and if he wants toys and/or candy, he needs to learn how to stop and listen and to lower his voice when we are inside whether at home or the store. He talks really loud at times. He also wears a child safety harness in public because he's a runner. Anything else just ask :-)
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I tell her to calm down. She has no reason not to be able to calm herself like everyone else in the world. Her outlook for life is great. She is 10 and deaf.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM

seems like everyday is a bad day lately :/ I am trying to find what works for him. It's very stressful and hurts my heart. He's not on meds.

Snowl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

My son is now 22. He has a very rare condition called Ring 22. Basically it's a deletion of parts of the 22nd chromosome. His behavior is similar to children/adults with autism and mental retardation.

He is doing much better now that puberty is over! He also lives in a group home with other disabled young men with 24 hour one-on-one assistance. He will always need help and cannot be left alone for safety reasons. (**Note: It also took 8 years for a spot to open up in  a group home.)

Calming him down usually involves walking around, swimming, showering, and removing him from what is upsetting him if possible.

britmichele
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM
12 moms liked this

My kid is perfect :) that is all.
Moonskytiger
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

My SN lil man is only 2 so if he gets to stressed out a binky is on reserve though he is off of them except for when he is having really bad sick days or i sing him christmas carols i dont know why but they calm him down.  This happens not very often but my mom helps if need be and according to the doctors what he has he SHOULD grow out of though they are confused to why he DIDN'T grow out of it by age 1 like he was supposed to.  If we are out in public he just has a temper tantrum we leave more because he starts to breath funny afterwards and people think he is sick than the fact he had a tantrum. I have had parents when he has played to hard and he starts wheezing tell their kids they "cant play with that little boy because he is sick and its stupid that a mother would bring a sick child to the park." I dont believe because he has NON contatigous health issues he should be punished -.-

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my word he is AWESOME!! That smile is amazing!

Quoting britmichele:

My kid is perfect :) that is all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Ice helps my son. He is borderline SN... I say that because he is 3, is overcoming a significant speech and language reception delay and some signs of ASD, but the last 6 months he has blossomed so much that I am floored daily by his progress!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairyjester
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Just let him be by himself,

he never acts up in public
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)