Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Got custody of my best friend's children

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 54 Replies
3 moms liked this

This woman well I known her since we were in  kindergarten and she was my best friend. About 2 years ago she lost her job and I helped her out a lot while she trying to find another job then she told me she found another job. I got a call to come to court thee weeks ago because I found out that their mother and her boyfriend was selling drugs and she went to prison. They are asking me if I can take in her children because they told me that the kids were crying and didn't wanted to go to the foster home and her oldest who is 9 knows my address and phone number and told the social worker about me. Her children was living with her grandparents then did a background check on them and told me they can't live with their grandparents anymore because her grandfather is a register sex offender. They did background checks for other family member of theirs and they have a criminal record as well. After they ask me if I can take their children, I said yes. After they did a background check on my husband and I which neither of us have a criminal record, we went back to court yesterday and finalize the adoption and I now taking care of her 4 children which are three boys who are 2, 3 and 9 and one girl who is 5...also I have 2 children on my own and one on the way that makes it 3 after the baby is born. My husband and I live in a 2-story 5 bedroom house (good thing the mortgage was paid off) and the a bedroom room was a family room well we converted to a bedroom for 2 and 3 year old boys to share. The family room now it's living room/family room. We let the 5 year old girl sleep in my 2 year old daughter's room well they like the same things like Disney Princess and Hello Kitty and let the 9 year old share a room with my 13 year old son. They don't have to call me mom and they don't have to call my husband dad if they don't want to, but I'm raising them like my own children with tender loving care and providing them everything now. My husband and I had a talk and going to think about enrolling the 9 year old boy to private school if he wants to go to that, we're not forcing him. Well although the children are sad that they miss their mother, they are happy that they're living in a safe home and the 9 year old told me that their mother's house has rats, bugs, and spiders. My family is going to Disney World on a Christmas week and I'm going to take those children with us I don't think they never been on a vacation before because she and her boyfriend probably couldn't afford it. I'm pretty sure they'll be happy. Family doesn't have to come from blood, family comes from the heart that's what I'm telling my own children especially my 13 year old son since he probably knows about it.

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Sounds like you did the right thing

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM
I am glad you took those kids in. I am sure they are very happy to be in a loving and stable home. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Adoption??

ndirishchic06
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:42 AM
So sad but you and your DH are amazing people for taking in those babies. I'm sure they will be forever grateful. God bless you two! :)
murals
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM
This post almost made me cry. I am thankful for you.
juno1
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Bless you.  People like you help make this world a better place...by far.  

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Wow! Good for you all and good luck! I guess I've never heard of social workers contacting someone who was not a relative before. They may need some counselling. As her best friend, did you never see the conditions they were living in?

HotMomma2622
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM
You are doing a wonderful thing. I'm sure their mother feels better that her kids are with someone she knows are her kids are not split up. How.much time did the mom get ? Hugs to you and your husband .
disneygal1984
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Adoption??

Well yeah we adopted them. :)

KTU
by Kim on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
That's amazing! You're doing a great thing for those children!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)