Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone know If airlines allow

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
an expectant woman to fly in her final trimester?

My friend is getting married in Jan and I will be somewhere between 34-37 weeks pregnant. Is that to far along for them to allow me to fly?
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyingHottie
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Nope they won't allow 3rd trimester flying

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM
I always thought written Dr consent was needed that far along
imandia4
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:10 AM

How are they going to know you are in your third trimester?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask your doctor. When I was pregnant with my son I wanted to fly to Illinois to see his dad when I was ending my 2nd trimester & my doctor told me absolutely NOT because you can go into labor or something could happen. But I've heard of people doing it when they were due so really ask your doctor if it is safe or not.
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Most wont.  Call the specific airline you would use and ask them what their policy is.  Some will allow you to fly with a doctor's note...others will just flat-out say no.

Andreaaa81
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

it depends on the airline. Some require Dr note and some just won't allow it flat out. You should call the airline before buying a ticket to find out. I have seen women who were clearly in their 3rd trimester on airplanes before.

ravenseeyore
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Most will not allow you to fly and the ones that do require you to have a statement from your DR that you are cleared medically. Your best bet is to call the airline and ask them.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Airline policies for pregnant travelers

You can fly on commercial airlines without restriction during your first and second trimesters, but during your third trimester you may run into some restrictions.

All airlines recommend that you consult your doctor before traveling at any point in your pregnancy. Play it safe by getting a "permission-to-travel" letter from your healthcare provider.

You won't – and shouldn't – get one if your pregnancy is considered high-risk.

Take your due date into consideration for the return trip, too. And before you plan a cross-country or international flight, remember how you'll feel squeezed into a seat for hours.

Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

www.alaskaair.com

(800) 252-7522

Domestic:

No restrictions, but passengers are advised to consult a doctor

International:

No restrictions, but passengers are advised to consult a doctor

American Airlines

www.aa.com

(800) 433-7300

Domestic:

• Doctor's letter required if traveling within four weeks of delivery date.
  • Travel within seven days before due date or after delivery requires doctor's letter plus clearance by AA special-assistance coordinator.
  • Restrictions based on honor policy.

International:

• Doctor's letter required if traveling within 30 days of due date, signed within 48 hours of travel.
  • Travel within ten days before due date or after delivery requires doctor's letter plus clearance by AA special-assistance coordinator.

Delta Airlines

www.delta.com

(800) 221-1212

Domestic:

No restrictions, but passengers are advised to consult a doctor.

International:

Frontier Airlines

www.frontierairlines.com

(800) 432-1359

Domestic:

International:

Hawaiian Airlines

www.hawaiianair.com

(800) 367-5320

Domestic:

• Doctor's letter required for travel within seven days of due date, signed within 72 hours of travel, indicating 1) due date and 2) that based on medical examination, travel doesn't pose a health risk.
  • Airline may require examination by medical personnel if passenger doesn't appear fit to fly on day of departure.

International:

Same restrictions apply.

JetBlue Airways

www.jetblue.com

(800) 538-2583

Domestic:

• Doctor's letter required for travel within seven days of due date, signed within 72 hours of travel, indicating 1) due date and 2) that based on medical examination, travel doesn't pose a health risk.
  • All travel must be scheduled for completion by due date.

International:

Same restrictions apply.

Southwest Airlines

www.iflyswa.com

(800) 435-9792

Domestic:

• No restrictions, but airline strongly recommends against flying at 39 weeks or later.
  • Pregnant women may be asked not to sit in the emergency exit row.

International:

Southwest has no international flights.

Spirit Airlines

www.spirit.com

(800) 772-7117

Domestic:

• In last month of pregnancy, you need a doctor's letter signed within 72 hours of travel, indicating that, based on a medical examination, travel on specified date doesn't pose a health risk.
  • Travel prohibited if signs of labor exist.

International:

Same restrictions apply.

United Airlines

www.united.com

(800) 241-6522

Domestic:

• No restrictions during first eight months.
  • In last month of pregnancy, you need a doctor's letter signed within 24 to 72 hours of travel, indicating 1) due date, 2) departure and arrival destinations and dates, and 3) that travel doesn't pose a health risk.

International:

Same restrictions apply.

US Airways

www.usairways.com

(800) 428-4322

Domestic:

• Doctor's letter required for travel within seven days of due date, signed within 72 hours of travel, indicating that travel. doesn't pose a health risk

International:

Same restrictions apply.

Virgin America/Virgin Atlantic

www.virginamerica.com and www.virgin-atlantic.com

(877) 359-8474

Domestic:

• Doctor's letter required if traveling within seven days of due date, indicating that travel doesn't pose a health risk; for round-trip travel, letter must indicate you'll be fit for return trip, too.

International:

• No restrictions through 27 weeks.
  • Travel between 28 and 36 weeks requires pregnancy info form to confirm due date and that pregnancy is uncomplicated.
  • All travel must be completed by end of 36 weeks.
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Only a few airlines have specific policies, but definitely clear it with your doctor first.

Flying after 32 weeks is generally considered a bad idea.

Princess_s21
by Sarah on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I dont know of any airline that allows women to fly in their last trimester without Drs written consent, most Drs dont recommend it either, 37 weeks is considered full term so I dont know how her dr would feel about that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)