Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

denied my disability claim.. now what?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 118 Replies
I know I have to file an appeal, but I have never done anything like this. I don't know how all of this works.

Do I really need a lawyer? I don't have the money for one and I don't want to get one of those don't pay us unless you win lawyers unless I really need one. Can I actually win it on my own?

What is a hearing like? How does it go? My anxiety and panic disorder are horrible(BUT NOT WHAT I AM CLAIMING DISABILITY FOR), and I am afraid I am going to end up in tears or having a panic attack with the judge.

Thanks.

Eta:

Thank you to those that are willing to help.. those that are bashing.. you are the reason I am not giving out the neurological problem that keeps me from working in addition to the photophobia and anxiety and panic disorder, and really.. youre not worth my time to respond to individually if you're just going to be condescending bitches. I am sorry I didn't respond all day, my meds knocked me out and MIL was here with my DS and DH woke me up when he got home to make sure I was ok.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I would recommend a getting a lawyer.   They did everything for me, and I won.  It was worth it. 

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Well if you do, wouldn't that help your case? lol
Sorry.
Bump for someone who knows about this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Get a disability lawyer. Many of them will just take a percentage of your back pay when you get it, and if you get denied they don't get paid.
When my husband applied our lawyers told us that almost everyone gets denied the first time unless they have a terminal illness, and it can take a long time to get approved.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Get a lawyer seriously
fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Yes you do need a lawyer in NY. First you get denied as you have. Then you get a lawyer who gets paid out of the retroactive pay you get. My husband did this & that's the way he got disability WITH a lawyer & she took her cut out of the retroactive pay. He continued to receive disbility til the day he died. I don't know what your disability is but if it is a physical one like Asthma or COPD bring your nebulizer & inhaler with you as well as your lawyer. A walker if you use one. And of course your lawyer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I'm a paralegal. Find a lawyer where you don't pay unless you win. It may be s long process but its worth it. On average it takes anywhere from 12-24 months to find a result.
DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Lawyer. My dad's lawyer did all the legwork and it took a lot less time. Its worth it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Also, be prepared to have the lawyer subpoena all medical records.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Yes, get a lawyer!  My father was turned down the first time he applied on his own.  Once he had a lawyer, he was approved in no time.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM
6 moms liked this

Ugh, I am sorry, but I am sick and tired of people and their disabilities. Anxiety? Really?  There are plenty of job you can still do with anxiety and panic disorder. Work from home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured