Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shocking parent/teacher conference confession last night, help!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 6 year old son's parent teacher conferences were last night. By the way he's in the first grade. I was given some shocking information that I had not been aware of this whole time. Back story: My son was diagnosed at the beginning of kindergarten with Adhd, borderline if, impulse control disorder, mild depression and social anxiety. He is medicated and seems to be doing quiet well on those meds. He has a very detailed IEP that should address alot of those issues. All year I have gotten no phone calls or notes sent home from the teacher regarding behavior or academic problems. Everyday my son tells me he had a good day in school. Even his progress report looked good. Said he did well in group activities, but had some trouble with independent work. Last night I was informed that my son was struggling with his in class work. He is having a very hard time with writing. He struggles to write his letters, put letters together to form words and put words together to form sentences. He only knows 75 percent of his kindergarten site words and none of his first grade site words. He can't read even the really easy stuff without very guided help. He struggles greatly with writing his numbers. He struggles with comprehension. I don't think there was one thing she told me he could do well. He was basically failing in all areas. I was also informed he is having behavioral issues. He is having a hard time following directions. Has to have directions repeated to him several times. He is having a great deal of trouble sitting still and focusing. He becomes very easily distracted. consistently rummaging through his desk haphazardly. Talking very loudly off topic while the teacher is talking. Not completing his work. talking loudly, fast, off topic and out of turn. touches others stuff for no reason. Loses or misplaces everything and anything. Why was I not informed about all of this until now? I was under the understanding everything was fine. I don't know how to take this information and what to do about it. Please help me help my son?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Do you do homework with him every night? Maybe find some online and sit down with him and teach him for a half hour when he gets home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
9 moms liked this
How did you not know this? Do you not read with him? Does he not have homework? Are his papers he does at school not sent home?

tracy0812
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Is he getting any therapy in school? OT, ST, sensory breaks? It sounds like he would benefit from sensory breaks.
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
You need to have a weekly sit down with the teacher and let her know you expect frequent progress reports. You need to see the work he does in class every week or every day and you need to also compare it to the other kids in class ( with names hidden) so you can see with your own eyes where he is. Also get him tested for dyslexia.
Lilroo424
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

How would you not know, you should know what words, letters, sounds, etc. he could do. If you are reading with him at night you would know. Maybe your part of the problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

How did you not know this? Do you not read with him? Does he not have homework? Are his papers he does at school not sent home?

The teacher doesn't send home daily class work that has been graded and completed. I get papers here and there. the work that I do see isn't that bad. He does read at home and he does pretty good because the books they send home for him to ready have pictures to help him identify the words. so quiet honestly I'm not seeing alot of what they are seeing. I did however see it all last night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Ask the teacher if you could have a weekly phone call or email, to go over the week. When you have an IEP meeting have that added.

Loveavision
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM
How does a first grader even have social anxiety, or depression?
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I'm not sure how to answer your question. But want to ask if you have had your son see by a holistic doctor. We just started seeing a new marriage counselor who recommended one to us for our whole family to see... DH for his stress and anxiety, DS for his sleep and borderline ASD "symptoms" / traits and me because I am going crazy dealing with the two. He has natural remedies that can help the mind and body function better together and get people off meds. Granted I am not "crunchie" and was a little skeptical, but figured for $280 it is worth a shot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
What do you think parent teacher conference are?They are to let parents know what's going on. And you are the mother. How did you not know he couldn't read or write? You needed a teacher to tell you this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)