Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CHRISTMAS...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

Okay..  Here is my issue.

I have one daughter.  My SO has two kids.  I am planning on buying my dd a new bike as she has outgrown hers and really wants a mountain bike.  I would like to buy his kids both bikes to keep at his house.  But I KNOW they will want to take them home.  Their mom just bought them new bikes but they are too small for them.  Not sure what she was thinking.  It isn't like they can easily bring them back and forth either.  Sooo..  would it be wrong to buy the bikes and make them leave them at their dads house?

Also...Let's say I spend $200 on my kid for Christmas...should I try and even it out for them?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

bump

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

They should leave them at Dad's house.  They will probably want to take them back and forth though because the ones that their Mom got them are too small for them.   I wish I had some good advice for you.  Here's a bump. :)

sweetsavannah10
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

BUMP!

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I dont know how to answer this. Imo you love all the kids equally and financially equally

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I'd say if you want to buy them bikes...buy them bikes. I wouldnt worry about where THEY get to enjoy them. Thats the whole purpose right? For them to enjoy their bikes?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

She asked me about the bikes...before she bought them.  She bought both 16 inch bikes.  The kids are 6 and 9...almost 7 and 10.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

They should leave them at Dad's house.  They will probably want to take them back and forth though because the ones that their Mom got them are too small for them.   I wish I had some good advice for you.  Here's a bump. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The kids all like to ride together here.  They have outgrown their old bikes.  I would want them kept here so the kids can ride together.  If they go home who knows if they will make it back. 

Quoting auntietotty:

I'd say if you want to buy them bikes...buy them bikes. I wouldnt worry about where THEY get to enjoy them. Thats the whole purpose right? For them to enjoy their bikes?

kdgord
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I would get them bikes and make them keep them at your place.. you paid for them and bought them so they would have them available while they are at your house so I see nothing wrong with telling the kids that the bikes stay there. I would try to spend close to the same amount on all the kids and would make sure toget them at least one item that they can take back and forth between homes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Gifts (especially ones that big) should be left at the parent's house where they were received. No, it is not unreasonable to NOT send them to BM's house. Just like gifts from BM are not expected to be transferred to your house.

As for Christmas, yes. Keep it equal on the amount.

Children should have their own space and things at each bio-parent's house so they have a sense of belonging. If everything is constantly moving back and forth or just stays at one parent's house, then the child doesn't have as big of a sense of "their own place". If that makes sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Where will the children be enjoying the bikes most, their Dad's house or their mom's? If they don't get much riding time at his house, they should be able to take them to mom's. Really, though, it's a gift. If you bought them an ipod or clothes or toys, would they have to keep those at Dad's?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)