Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The school had no clue where my son was until I called looking for him **EDIT with email from today from asst principal.

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 99 Replies

My son is 14, in 8th grade and is an EH student (special needs), he had a punishment today to be in a closed room to do his work for an issue that happened on Monday. Normally he fights this punishment because he is clausterphobic, but we had a long talk this morning and he knew he better take whatever they gave him or he will also be punished at home next week (he is already on restriction this week). Since he did not make a deal about the door being shut and did all of his work without asking for help, they FORGOT about him being in there. My dd got off the bus and thought maybe my ds had been picked up from school. I called the school and everyone said they had not seen him. I guess the assistant principal remembered he was in there earlier and ran to the room to check on him and he was fast asleep on the floor. He missed dismisal and no one checked to make sure he was gone. I am so angry, this is why I have been fighting tooth and nail for a damn one on one. I am now going to have to go to the superintendent again and have things placed in his IEP about being checked on during these types of punishments. 

ETA: He has a fever that is why he fell asleep, he was afraid of complaining he did not feel well, he thought they would not believe him.

Here is the email the asst. principal sent today

Good Morning Kim,

I wanted to update you on the procedures that we have decided to use in the time out room. 

·         The door to the time out room will remain open when the room is vacant as well as when it is in use.

·         In an extreme situation, if the door must be closed while a student is using the room, the room will be directly supervised by the adult in charge.

·         Additional staff may assist with supervision of the remaining students in the room if needed.

·         A thorough check of the classroom and all spaces in the room is to be completed at the end of each period.

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM
4 moms liked this

Wow, that is completely inappropriate. An adult should have been SUPERVISING.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
5 moms liked this

so they put him in a room alone?! why??! we had iss (in school suspension) but there was always a teacher or some adult in there. i wouldn't be ok with that type of punishment for my kid....

dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Oh no. Poor guy. I'd lose my mind on the school.
venessaw04
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

that is horrible.  When i was in In school suspention there was always some one there.  There is no excuse to forget about a child ever

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

The room he was in is like an office in a classroom, they shut the door so as not to distract the student. I guess the EH teacher got busy and then left after the class and didnot check on my son.

Quoting Anonymous:

so they put him in a room alone?! why??! we had iss (in school suspension) but there was always a teacher or some adult in there. i wouldn't be ok with that type of punishment for my kid....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I would be pissed and raising holy hell.  My dd is 7 and special needs.  Hope your son feels better.

aimesnyc
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Special needs or not, I would be extremely upset.

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM

His IEP does not allow for ISS, so he gets to go to the EH office room to be alone and the teacher is there in the class with other students if needed. I guess they are not used to him not making a big deal about being in there so he was forgotten.

Quoting venessaw04:

that is horrible.  When i was in In school suspention there was always some one there.  There is no excuse to forget about a child ever

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM

oh ffs , he was fine just be glad he didnt act up , this is actual progress for him, dont go all mommy to the rescue. Hes fine, now when he doesnt act up, they will remember him.

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am really pissed, its only October and we have had to have 3 meeting already, the recent one being last week to ammend his IEP because the wording is too confusing or they are not able to adjust to the new rules put in place. UGH!!!

Quoting aimesnyc:

Special needs or not, I would be extremely upset.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)