Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Consignment stores

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Anyone know much about them? I just got out the winter clothes and noticed about half of them are too small for my children. Ive never sold any clothes to a consignment store so I'm curious.... do I need to wash them before trying to sell? How about iron? I have about a large trash bag full. Do they give you the money right then? Would it be better to sell them on an online garage sell? Help lol. Information much appreciated!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM

bump

Katt709
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I would recommend that they be clean. But other than that take them in and see what happens. I prefer to sell outright at once upon a child or hand me downs - both kids resale shops. It's easier IMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Quoting Katt709:

I would recommend that they be clean. But other than that take them in and see what happens. I prefer to sell outright at once upon a child or hand me downs - both kids resale shops. It's easier IMO.

Thank you for your reply. I have a dumb question... is a consignment store different than a kids resale shop? I will wash them and neatly fold them. Never done this before but I wont need them again and my house is filling up.
Katt709
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Yes. They're different. Consignment is allowing the store to sell your stuff and you take a percentage of the sale price. Resale shops buy from you and pay you a set price. Then you're done. The store then turns around and sells the item and keeps the money made.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Katt709:

Thank you for your reply. I have a dumb question... is a consignment store different than a kids resale shop? I will wash them and neatly fold them. Never done this before but I wont need them again and my house is filling up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Thanks for that info ! I had no idea! Will be going to a resale shop!

Quoting Katt709:

Yes. They're different. Consignment is allowing the store to sell your stuff and you take a percentage of the sale price. Resale shops buy from you and pay you a set price. Then you're done. The store then turns around and sells the item and keeps the money made.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Katt709:

tossed
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM
The shops here require that the items be clean, ironed, labeled, and trendy (unless specializing in vintage clothes.)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM
We have one resale shop here that EVERYTHING has to be Name Brand.
She will pay you maybe $6 for a pair of jeans and turns around and sells them for $35 + .

Its a big rip off.

People are now selling on those Facebook swap shops and it is hilarious to see her on there trying to remind people of her store.
She has lost quite a bit of business.

Sorry on to your question.... Call around to different consignment stores and see who takes the least percentage after the items are sold.
Ask around to your friends. You'll be surprised at how many themselves do the same, selling to consignment stores.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Quoting tossed:

The shops here require that the items be clean, ironed, labeled, and trendy (unless specializing in vintage clothes.)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM
So it would be better to sell it all on a face book garage sell then? I am joined to one!

Quoting Anonymous:

She will pay you maybe $6 for a pair of jeans and turns around and sells them for $35 + .

Its a big rip off.

People are now selling on those Facebook swap shops and it is hilarious to see her on there trying to remind people of her store.

Sorry on to your question.... Call around to different consignment stores and see who takes the least percentage after the items are sold.

Ask around to your friends. You'll be surprised at how many themselves do the same, selling to consignment stores.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Ps: the only reason I haven't listed them in the garage sell is cause I have no idea what price to list them.

Quoting Anonymous:

So it would be better to sell it all on a face book garage sell then? I am joined to one!

Quoting Anonymous:

Its a big rip off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN