Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what point do you do what you want in your own house despite the discomfort of your guests?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

MIL came to visit for about a month while we're moving into our new house. I'm exhausted from moving and from the constant social interaction with someone I'm not comfortable with yet. I've been walking on eggshells and tiptoeing around for about a week now, and now I'd really like to stay up and watch TV and clean and just get some time to myself, but MIL keeps waking up (she's sleeping in the living room where the only TV is) and shooting me dirty looks. We have a guest room but she sleeps out on the recliner in the LR. 

So am I wrong here? Should I give up and go to bed? I really want to go through my DVR shows, she's glued to the TV during the day. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell her if you're bothering her she's welcome to move herself in there to sleep. Living rooms are for the living,not the sleeping.
SJG1013
by SJG on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:33 AM
I would let her know if it's bothering her she can always go to the guest bedroom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, I'd tell her it's time to go home. What does your husband say? Tell her she can go sleep in the guest room if she doesn't want to hear the tv.
SyllabaryBisque
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Now would be a good time. Tell her to slink off to the bedroom where she belongs. Lol
ExposeTheBeauty
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Can you move the recliner into the guest room?  She might sleep on that for back pain or breathing issues or whatever.  

flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Just do what you need to do.  Its your home.  You need to be comfortable in your own home, if she is not, she should leave and go and be comfortable in her own home.   Tell her you are a night person, and that she needs to go sleep in the bedroom, so you can get things done around the house.

XnikoX
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:51 AM
Id tell her if shes so bothered to move herself to the guest bedroom. That I have a household to take care of. And if she wants to give me dirty looks she can go home.
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Ask her if you can do something to make the guest room more comforting.
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Id tell her to go to the guest room or stop glaring at me. It would be different if you didnt have somewhere else for her to go but damn.
copperked
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM
My mil appreciates direct communication so I would probably just tell her what I want and let her know she is free to either join me in my veg fest or go sleep in the guest room.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)