Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think parents of bullied children are to blame??

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM
  • 305 Replies
2 moms liked this
Watching the news this morning and they are talking about Rebecca Sedwick a girl who committed suicide after being severely bullied online. Do you think the parents should have taught her how to ignore the bullies and be strong or do you think her death was inevitable?

In this case there are charges being brought against the bullying children, a 12 yr old and a 14 yr old. What makes this case so different? Why didnt she just move away from the computer??

No I'm not blaming Rebecca just curious

On the other side should the parents of the bullies be charged? They are talking about charging the parents because of their children being bullies. What do you think??
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM
5 moms liked this
No! I do feel parents need to stop being scared to parent. But to put blame on them.isn't right.
If your child is being bullied online I.don't get why you don't take the internet away though. Step it up and take charge!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
llamaqueen
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM
7 moms liked this
Not necessarily to blame. My parents raised me to be responsible for my own actions. I do think too many parents these days aren't as proactive in their children's daily lives as they should be. My parents always knew where I was, what after school clubs and activities I was involved in, and what I was doing on the internet.
tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM

No, on all counts.

What I do wonder is how this country allows childrens lives to become so devoid of all future prospects that suicide seems like the best available option. 

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
that's what I'm saying. She was bullied on Facebook, Kik, Instagram, AskFm, etc. like wtf?

Quoting MIA0223:

No! I do feel parents need to stop being scared to parent. But to put blame on them.isn't right.

If your child is being bullied online I.don't get why you don't take the internet away though. Step it up and take charge!
beeky
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM
12 moms liked this

I think the parents of the bullies are to blame.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
7 moms liked this

If my child was bullied to the point of suicide, you bet I have some blame. I am their protector. If I have not repaired the situation , so my child feels death is the only option. That is on me.

if my child was bullied I have options. Talk to the school, the other parents. Next, switch schools, even if this means moving. I don't care how inconvenient it is. I am their protector. 

Also, therapy. Getting my child to talk about it and learn how to deal with it, from a professional. 

llamaqueen
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM
8 moms liked this
Quoting MIA0223:

So the victim shouldn't have access to social media because the other kid's parents can't monitor what they're children are doing online? Ridiculous
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM
13 moms liked this

What I don't get , is why the one being bullied has to leave the internet completely, since she is not the one doing wrong, she is being wronged.   The bullies should be banned from those web sites, not the victim needs to run away.

Danielle17T
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I also wonder where the bullys learn that behavior I know we all have our own personality but some of these kids r brutally mean it's really sad this girl had to die b4 this bullying was taken seriously!
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I agree. Parents nowadays are too easy on their children and let then get away with almost everything smh

Quoting llamaqueen:

Not necessarily to blame. My parents raised me to be responsible for my own actions. I do think too many parents these days aren't as proactive in their children's daily lives as they should be. My parents always knew where I was, what after school clubs and activities I was involved in, and what I was doing on the internet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)