Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Child support question..Will dh's ex wife c/s support get lowered if HE adopts his stepson...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies
If the father is no longer in my son's life?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Bump
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
No
MythrylHavoc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe so. You'd have to check the laws in your state, but I believe in most places other children he may have aren't factored into the payments.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Maybe...he would have to petition for a downward modification and take his chances in court.
askyourmother
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
No.
sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Depends on the state and jurisdiction, but probably not.  They would consider it just as if he had a baby with you and not change his child support.  They could even raise his support obligation.  It is a gamble.  If his ex's new husband adopts their child, then the support obligation would likely cease.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
It depends on the state. If your state is one that bases child support on ALL children then there is a chance it will be lowered but usually it only goes down by 3% or less so it may not be worth it to fight it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
? i thought if the child gets adpoted then the parent who gives up his/her rights then they dont get child support
First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
3 moms liked this
No. Why on earth would a judge let him adopt a child while telling her that he can't afford the first two?
lipsis
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Most likely not, though if the child support is under a judge's purview, a judge has the discretion to lower or raise child support for any reason. My judge lowered my ex-husband's child support because he wanted to get a second bachelor's degree, for example.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)