Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop being afraid to parent your children!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 114 Replies
Time and time again I hear these phrases:

"Parents need to stop being afraid to parent." and "You need to be their parent, not their friend."

Are you someone who says these things?
What does "being afraid to parent" even mean?
Do you see no value in being a friend to your children?
Please explain!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
9 moms liked this

If you need to ask, stop and look at your parenting style. That's what we mean. Now do the opposite.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel you can be friendly to your children but not their friend-you are there to parent

Children need to learn respect of elders, children need to learn manners and parents need to teach that.  

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM
There is a time and a place.
I say this. It applies to situations where parents let kids call all the shots.
DH has two teen boys. They are close, he is their friend, but first he is their parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I hear the whole "stop being your child's friend" on cm when I comment that I don't spank. I am capable of being an authoritative parent without spanking.
QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha, really?

I'm not criticizing, I'm simply curious. My parenting style is just fine, and my kids and family are wonderful. =]

Quoting tinybluemoon:

If you need to ask, stop and look at your parenting style. That's what we mean. Now do the opposite.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
4 moms liked this

Children need a parent first. My kids have friends, I've never confused those roles. 

I think many parents feel sucha  strong desire to be liked by their kids that they forget what it really means to be a parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this

what about the kids who call cps on their parents due to a punishment and now the state is involved in that family, demanding to know how they wipe their ass.....THAT is why parents are afraid to parent anymore

danie24
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this

You can be a friend and a parent to your child.

My kids are and always will be my friends and I will also always be their mother.

Just like my Mom is one of my best friends and always has been.

Just because you are your child's friend doesn't mean you can't also parent and teach them.

People are weird. I wouldn't look too deep into it.

LnAsMommy
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I never say that but if some one us complaining that their child throws fits, hits screams and kicks, talk back, doesn't listen and so on.... then its time to stop being so nice and dicipline. A child is not going to love the parent any less if they get in trouble sometimes.
QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I agree with you, respect and manners are very important and should be taught by parents.

But, what does that mean? There are so many ways I can think of that people teach kids this. I teach by example, by and so far 2/2 have followed suit. I've never had to force them to be polite or respectful.

Quoting lifeisajoy:

I feel you can be friendly to your children but not their friend-you are there to parent

Children need to learn respect of elders, children need to learn manners and parents need to teach that.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN