Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

STOP ASKING BLACK PEOPLE TO FORGET SLAVERY!

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 1060 Replies
18 moms liked this

There is nothing more infuriating to me than when I see people continuously telling black people to stop talking about and remembering slavery. 

I was dumb enough to scroll down to look at the comments on this Yahoo article on the movie "12 years a slave". It's basically a movie about a free black man who was captured by slavers and taken to the south as a slave. The artical was simply bring up to light just how common this practice was. Literately every 3rd comment was to the effect of "Black people stop talking about slavery already" or my favorite "Blacks were sold into slavery by other blacks, stop blaming me". This is the same bullshit attitude I see and deal with on here and have to deal with in my own personal life 8/10 times I talk to someone other than black about slavery.  No one is fucking blaming you so stop being fucking dismissive. I swear it seems that if an event didn't happen to mostly white people, it's expected to be forgotten and never broughted up. I'm so fucking tired of being dismissed.

Black people are still living with the long lasting effects of slavery in America so kindly STFU already and let us talk and make movies/songs/plays/ect about what ever the fuck we want. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
232 moms liked this
"The long lasting effects of slavery?" Explain these to me? It was a horrible thing that happened a long time ago that is still thrown in the faces of white Americans at every turn. There comes a point when everyone needs to let go of the past. Ok, so your great great great great great great grandparents were slaves. I have sympathy for them, not for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
64 moms liked this

Learing from our mistakes by teaching history and slavery is great. BUT why are we still pointing fingers at people that had nothing to do with slavery?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM
5 moms liked this
People should be able to make movies and be write stories and songs about whatever they want.
Since I am not black, I don't know how you feel. I would like to understand so can you Please explain how you are still living with the effects of slavery?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM
10 moms liked this

This is an issue in your real life? Or are you maybe spending too much time on the internet?

Honestly I don't care. If someone wants to spend their time engrossed in something that has no bearing on life today, go for it. Doesn't effect me, so whatever. 

Anonymous
15 moms liked this

that like asking Jews to forget the Holocaust

Anonymous
44 moms liked this
Stop asking people who had nothing to do with keeping slaves to be responsible for others actions.
Anonymous
46 moms liked this
Blacks are the ones who sold themselves into slavery to white people.
Blame your own people.
And slavery was long enough ago that if blacks would drop the shit, they could move on and move up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
As an African American, I agree with this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
67 moms liked this
I don't care if you listen, talk, eat slavery all the time. However, why is it we only hear so much about the black slaves? My ancestors were enslaved long before yours..I don't ask for a special month, college,etc.
zacmacsmomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
12 moms liked this

This!  It was horribe, yes.  It was shameful.  But to hang on to something like that isn't healthy. 

Quoting Anonymous:

"The long lasting effects of slavery?" Explain these to me? It was a horrible thing that happened a long time ago that is still thrown in the faces of white Americans at every turn. There comes a point when everyone needs to let go of the past. Ok, so your great great great great great great grandparents were slaves. I have sympathy for them, not for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)