Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents Sue School Because 'Genius' Son Was Kicked Out of Algebra Class?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 131 Replies

Parents Sue School Because 'Genius' Son Was Kicked Out of Algebra Class

by Kiri Blakeley

Let's pretend your kid is in a math class that is too hard for him. So hard that he's getting a D in class for the first time ever. Would you want him to stay in that class? Or would you want him to stay in it so badly that you'd sue the school board to keep him there? If you're eighth grader Jonathan Hefley's parents, you do the latter. But of course!!

Hefley, who is a genius kid with a 145 math IQ and had always gotten straight A's in math, was moved to an advanced algebra class that was apparently too much even for him. He was struggling and receiving low grades. So the school decided to move him to a slightly easier algebra class. That is when it got sued.

After Jonathan began getting low grades, his parents reportedly began complaining -- of course they did -- and Jonathan was moved to a slightly easier class. But now his parents are suing because they say their genius son is "bored" and that he wants to remain in the other class with his "mathlete" buddies. Apparently no one cares that, you know, he was practically failing out of the class!

The parents -- would you be surprised if I told you they were lawyers -- say that the district has a legal obligation to educate their son and that the easier class wasn't doing that.

This is the thanks the school gets. Before Jonathan was moved, the school had reportedly lined up daily tutoring sessions for him, but Jonathan still couldn't hack it. The class is one that prepares students for math contests, and clearly Jonathan -- or at least his parents -- believe he's a math star who will win algebra contests far and wide.

Only not really.

Here we have a perfect case of the parents caring more about their son's reputation as a math genius than his actual education. Don't they care that a D might ruin his chances of getting into the college of his choice?

They probably don't worry about that because they'll just sue whatever institution rejects him. While this isn't quite as bad as the parents who sued after their son was kicked out of class for cheating, you still get the sense these 'rents are gonna sue the pants off anyone who dares deny their son his rightful place in the pantheon of math geniuses.

Jonathan may indeed be a genius, but that doesn't mean he's up to this particular class ... at least this year.

At any rate, a judge disagreed with Jonathan's uber-sensitive parents, so it looks like Jonathan will be dividing pi in the easier class for awhile.

Do you think these parents went too far?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM
9 moms liked this

lmao another case of ridiculous parents.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
4 moms liked this

It's just another parent who thinks their precious snowflake is gifted, when in reality he needs to work in some areas to achieve.  SMH

LectioDivina
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Suing?

That's ridiculous.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
They definitely went way too far lol. Idiots.
Lottie925
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Lol. They may want to have his IQ tested again.

If I had a nickel for every mom on here who says their child is "gifted"... The school even said so... I'd be rich.

I have this workbook that my Dd picked for summer work. It was for kids going into first grade... For gifted children. She got it of a giant stack at Barnes and Noble. Lol it was just slightly more challenging the others and quite on par with what most kids her age are capable of. But of course parents are buying this book because... Why yes! My child MUST Be gifted if they can handle this work.
XnikoX
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I could see being annoyed if they removed the kid from the class without discussing it with the parents first. But all in all it sounds like he needed removed. If this were my child I would think it was a good idea. I wouldnt want my childs grades to suffer because the class was too mich for him. When he could be in a class and excelling. So I think to sue the school for this reason is ludicrous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Dumbest thing I've heard when it comes to parents being upset about something to do with their child and school.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm beginning to believe that judges are getting tired of every Dick and Jane suing for stupid reasons.

I wouldn't want a D to be on my child's record.

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Parents are idiots for setting their child up to fail and allowing it. 8th grade grades do not get sent to colleges, they only get sent to high schools.
The.Last.Rebel
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Do they know for a FACT that he was getting D's because he couldn't do the work or was he not doing the work, and just getting good grades on the test? I was that way in HS. I wouldn't do my homework because it was too easy. I'd just ace the tests, which would get me a D for the grading period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)