Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it illegal to use someones driveway to turn around?

Posted by   + Show Post

for example, backing out of someones house where you cant turn around in, down the one-lane street, then backing up into someones driveway a little bit in order to pull out onto the street not backwards anymore. when i say "a little bit" i mean literally only their driveway, not going into their "parking lot" at all.

my parents picked up my daughter last night to take her swimming and there is no room for their giant f250 truck to turn around, so they had to back out onto the quiet, narrow, one-lane street. instead of backing out all the way until the end, and then backing out into the actual road with traffic in order to drive forward, they decided to use a neighbors driveway to straighten themselves out.

this man comes tearing down his driveway screaming profanity at them, telling them hes calling the cops and that what they are doing is illegal. no joke, this man went from 0-to-60 as soon as their tired hit his driveway.

my partner and i were getting ready to leave to go grocery shopping, and when we passed by his driveway he was on the phone with who i imagine was in fact the cops. 

so, was this actually illegal or does this man need anger management therapy?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Even if it is technically illegal, that dude's off his meds or something.

CamoChick
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM

sounds like he has some major issues

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Lol in my neighborhood we have very long driveways that go behind our houses and my neighbor parks his car right by his mailbox just so people won't pull in and turn around. When he has company they honk their horns so they can pull in to visit him. It's pretty funny. 

Quoting Saydar:

My neighbors tie a rope along the end of their drive way to prevent turn-arounds. They are the laughing stock of the neighberhood.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Is say let him call the cops... The cops will laugh and walk away most likely.... Guy will give himself a heart attack acting that way.... Now if people were driving on the lawn I could see getting slightly upset.... He needs to chill.

(And tell your partner to keep parking on the gravel! 😜)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StarLight23
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

The short answer is no. It's not illegal. I've had to pull into someone's driveway in a little housing community sometimes and turn around. Nobody's said anything.

OP YES that guy needs a chill pill and yes, some anger management classes.

wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

he did apparently. im really upset that my rear-facing daughter had a front row view of this maniac running after my parents swearing and throwing his hands around. 2-year-olds dont need to know about people like that yet. :\

Quoting D.O.E.:

didnt read it but would anyone care? like really? smfh

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I had someone get pissed once because a kid rear-ended me on a two-lane road, and he had kind of a "shoulder" around his driveway, whereas the rest of the road had a ditch on either side.... so we pulled into that shoulder, parallel to the road, out of traffic, and not blocking his driveway. We were exchanging information and kid called the police ("My momma always told me to never not call the police in an accident." Uh, okay, whatever, kid. You're the one that hit me.) and the homeowner came RUNNING out of his house, screaming, "You can't do that! You can't park there! You can't! You can't do it!" He kept going on and on and on. He kept saying he was going to call the cops. We explained we already had, and there was nowhere else we could go without technically leaving the scene of the accident. He kept saying he was going to call the cops and we KEPT REPEATING they were on their way.

Cop got there. Guy tried to complain. Policeman looked him up and down, and said, "Sir, they're free to leave as soon as I give them copies of my report." He wandered around in the background huffing and puffing for the rest of the time we were there, talking about how we damaged his hedge (we were nowhere near it at any time, probably a good thirty feet away), how if he had company they wouldn't be able to get in (again, driveway wasn't blocked by any means, could probably have gotten at least an F-250 between us easily).

It was the craziest accident I've ever been in, purely because of the aftermath.

kysmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

if he has a no trespassing or private property sign he can call them but if not he's just crazy and probably cracked out lol

ilovecandy
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

people use my driveway and roundabout to do uturns, THIS pisses me off. if they were to just pull up in my driveway a little bit and then back out i would be fine, but people will haul into my driveway, drive in my little roundabout and out the otherside to turn INSTEAD of driving around the court that is right across from me.

im not sure if its illegal, but im going to put something in my yard so people stop using my driveways as a free turn around spot. just driving into my driveway a little bit i would be ok with, but to full engage on my property, driving pretty fast and the out the other side i have problems with.

TheSilence
by Remember Me on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Lol not illegal at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured