Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wow...This happened in my town.

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 26 Replies
Read it. This happened in my town, several of my friends children go to this school. Everyone is super pissed!!!!!!
What do you think about this?

GOLDSBORO (WTVD) -- Eastern Wayne Middle School students were terrified when they were told there was an armed robber in the school with a mask and a handgun Friday. However, they quickly learned it was all part of a school lesson.

Nonetheless, some parents are not happy with the exercise and school officials admit it was a bad move.

In a letter that was sent home to parents, the school said it was part of enrichment exercise trying to teach kids to be aware of their surroundings. A school employee dressed up in a ski mask and carrying a fake gun pretended to be a robber.

The school system admits - in light of the school shootings making headlines around the country - they should have been more sensitive.

"It obviously did lack that sensitivity that was needed...all of our schools work very hard to promote a safe learning environment...in this situation, the exercise in its original intent was appropriate, but in how it was executed it obviously lacked judgment," said Ken Derksen, Public Information Officer with the Wayne County Public Schools.

The school system said they received a few phone calls from concerned parents regarding the incident. They said an investigation is ongoing into exactly what happened and the employee dressed up as the armed robber could be facing disciplinary action.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbigailJ89
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Bump!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I'm iffy about this. In a way, it's out of line and probably terrified them. But in another way, it made them realize reality. It also was probably more effective in teaching what to do than those fake drills  If it were an elementary school I'd say no way, but it's a middle school.

Wait....just read it over. The school didn't allow it, the teacher just did it?

AbigailJ89
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
From what I have heard the principal asked the teacher to do it.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

I'm iffy about this. In a way, it's out of line and probably terrified them. But in another way, it made them realize reality. It also was probably more effective in teaching what to do than those fake drills  If it were an elementary school I'd say no way, but it's a middle school.

Wait....just read it over. The school didn't allow it, the teacher just did it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momNstinks
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM

just ridiculous

mojogirl
by Alice Liddell on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM

the 'exercise' started out dumb.... who robs a school?!

BEXi
by BEXi on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I would raise hell.

anotherhalf
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Stupidity.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Is it any different than the air raid drills of old.......preparing for the dangers of the time is not a new thing in schools.

TimetoMomUp
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Was this the same story I heard on the news today about a robber with a knife holding up a bus of 11 children? I wonder if it was twisted?  Either way, as a parent, I would be pissed. 

kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

My cousin did 8 years in prison for robbing my high school.

Back to the original subject. I would but wouldn't be pissed. It's good to be aware of your surroundings, but that's a terrible way to teach it. I'm hyperaware at all times. When someone tries to kill you it does that. But I want my kids to be kids. They don't need to know that mommy carries a gun and why, they don't need to know fear. Vigilance can be taught without terrorizing them.

Quoting mojogirl:

the 'exercise' started out dumb.... who robs a school?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)