Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids first sleep over and I dont think I am ready!*update in red*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

My DD is 5 and tonight is her first sleep over with her best friend.

Her friend is sleeping here because I just cant imagine my DD being looked after by other parents just yet. 

I have a baby under a year old and the girls just cant play quietly. My baby has not been able to nap or get to sleep.

My DD's friend complained for an hour saying how hungry she was and kept asking me when dinner would be ready. I kept telling her its cooking and i'll come get you when its done. She then preceded to go into the fridge to try to find something to eat. 

Perhaps I am just overly strict but I cant stand kids digging through the fridge, not even my own. I also dont have anything in the fridge that they could just grab and eat. its mostly all fresh vegetables and milk etc so not much for anyone to grab and eat anyway. 

While they were outside playing my DDs friend got the hose and turned it on and wet a whole heap of laundry I had almost dried. And even though she was so hungry she didnt eat all of her dinner and now wants dessert. We don't normally have dessert in the house but we bought something specially since DD was having a sleep over, but I dont know what to do because she didnt finish her dinner,

I may sound overly strict but I am just used to my own child and her behaviours and to have a new child in the house who has been brought up so differently is a little bit of a shock. Her mum wants her to stay 2 nights but I just dont think I could handle it. I am exhausted from being pregnant, trying to get my lil one to nap and try to keep the girls happy and entertained. 

Also I am not calling my DDs friend naughty or bad. Just different to what I am used to.

We ended up having to call her mum to come get her in the middle of the night. Everyone was so exhausted and they would not go to sleep.

I went in to check on them and they werent there, found them in the kitchen eating straight out of the pot with their hands. I had to put them back in bed 10 times, I wouldnt mind if they played in there quietly but it was 1 am and everytime my lil one would drift off they would make a loud noise and startle her awake. 

Then when mum came to get her we talker for a while but she has no control over her kid. It was 1 am and her son came in and they all just went crazy in my DDs room. 

DDs friend found my DDs makeup bag I gave her (its really onnly because she wanted it for her bag, she doesnt wear it) and she unscrewed everything and started wiping it on my DDs face. My DD didnt want it and was trying to stop her so I grabbed the eyeshadow off her and when I did that she just got something else faster and started going at DDs face.

I cant stand when I ask a child not to do something and they just do it faster. Her mother just stood there and did nothing while her kids trashed my DDs room in the midle of the night. 

Never again. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:46 AM
Quiet time - movies, coloring, etc
Do dessert because its not fair to withhold it when your dd knows about it.
Firmly tell her mother you cannot do it 2 nights in a row. You are pregnant and have a lo and it is tiring.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I fully plan to do dessert. I just want them to settle down a little first. 

I have a movie on and I found her walking all over the coffee table and baby walker

Quoting kaysha:

Firmly tell her mother you cannot do it 2 nights in a row. You are pregnant and have a lo and it is tiring.

Sister.Menses
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
5 is kind of young for sleep-overs imo. They still need naps and whatnot. My dd gets bored after an hour at the park with her bff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
You need to relax and enjoy getting to know your DD's friend while she still wants for you to know them!

Sleep overs can be easy, if you try to have fun too.

Also, my kids friends get the same rules and punishments that my kids do. And all of the friends are intimately familiar with our time out chair.

The friend will learn over time how things work in your house.

:)
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Put her in time out. Your home means your rules. Nothing extreme obviously, but get the point across.

Quoting Anonymous:

I fully plan to do dessert. I just want them to settle down a little first. 

I have a movie on and I found her walking all over the coffee table and baby walker

Quoting kaysha:

AJsMom81507
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:54 AM

sleep overs are FUN, not quiet lets be angels.  i remember all my sleep overs, up till all hours talking, eating lots of junk food, etc.

my DD had her first sleep over at 3 with her friend, and they were up all night playing, until they both crashed on the floor.  i let them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:58 AM

oh i never thought i would be the lame mummy who gets stressed over fun things. I dont like it about myself. I need to be more fun. it just sucks when your baby cant sleep and I am exhausted. In the morning I will put up the jumping castle lol that should keep them happy for 5 minutes lol

Quoting Anonymous:

You need to relax and enjoy getting to know your DD's friend while she still wants for you to know them!

Sleep overs can be easy, if you try to have fun too.

Also, my kids friends get the same rules and punishments that my kids do. And all of the friends are intimately familiar with our time out chair.

The friend will learn over time how things work in your house.

:)

momto3infl
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I agree with this-with sleepovers are meant to be fun.  For a previous poster I dont  know many kids esp my kids and their friends who napped at 5yrs old-not even in school (kinder).

Quoting AJsMom81507:

sleep overs are FUN, not quiet lets be angels.  i remember all my sleep overs, up till all hours talking, eating lots of junk food, etc.

my DD had her first sleep over at 3 with her friend, and they were up all night playing, until they both crashed on the floor.  i let them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM

I remember trying to get my baby to nap while my older dd had a friend over.  Drove me nuts.  5 sounds a little young for a sleep over with a friend.  My dd was 7 the first time she slept at a friend's house.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM

its driving me nuts. and no matter how often you try to tell them the baby is trying to sleep they dont understand or they dont care. I think 7 sounds much better!

Quoting Anonymous:

I remember trying to get my baby to nap while my older dd had a friend over.  Drove me nuts.  5 sounds a little young for a sleep over with a friend.  My dd was 7 the first time she slept at a friend's house.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured