Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drop side cribs?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 26 Replies

I know it's illegal to sell them, but if you have one is it illegal to use it? I bought one for my 5yo when I was pregnant and used it for my first two kids.

My new baby is getting too big for her bassinet so I need to find a way to buy a crib, or set the old one back up.

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

its not illegal but you need to make sure to get the repair kit or w/e to fix it....otherwise you will be putting your babies life in danger...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this

I have one all three of my kids used it, the oldest child will be 10 in a few days. We always inspect it and use it properly and have never had an issue. In general I find that recalled stuff is mainly recalled because people are fucking stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Why risk it 

lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
It's not illegal to use it, however you should call the manufacturer and get a repair kit. People think that kids were getting hurt because parents weren't lowering the mattress like they should, but the truth is that drop side cribs were outlawed because the drop side can easily become damaged and detached from the crib causing a strangulation hazard. It happened to my first son's crib back in 2004.
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I'm actually planning on taking it apart, sanding, refinishing, and rebuilding it. By the time I'm done the side won't drop anymore. But it is technically a drop side.

And yes I'm actually really good at woodworking. So I'll make very sure that it is safe and sturdy.

Quoting Anonymous:

its not illegal but you need to make sure to get the repair kit or w/e to fix it....otherwise you will be putting your babies life in danger...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

not to mention the cribs in question were manufactured in china--known for cheap craftsmanship...my Bassett drop side solid wood crib made in 1980 in the USA went thru 10kids..never a problem with anything about it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have one all three of my kids used it, the oldest child will be 10 in a few days. We always inspect it and use it properly and have never had an issue. In general I find that recalled stuff is mainly recalled because people are fucking stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
They're fine. And they're not dangerous. Unless it's old and broken.
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

What I want to do is take it apart, refinish it, and rebuild it. As old as it is I don't even remember who manufactured it. And my other two cribs are still in Indiana LMAO.

Quoting lunabella79:

It's not illegal to use it, however you should call the manufacturer and get a repair kit. People think that kids were getting hurt because parents weren't lowering the mattress like they should, but the truth is that drop side cribs were outlawed because the drop side can easily become damaged and detached from the crib causing a strangulation hazard. It happened to my first son's crib back in 2004.

lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
This is a bs answer. The drop side cribs were not recalled for misuse. Many cribs became damaged by infants pushing on the drop side. Then the drop side would break or become detached from the crib causing a suffocation hazard. It happened to my son's crib. It was a Sorrelle $400 crib that I bought in 2003. At the age of 9 months my son decided to rock and push against the drop side splitting the track that allows the side to slide up and down. He did this in a matter of minutes and could have easily strangulated himself in the side that broke. I was not "fucking stupid" and his was not the only reported case of similar malfunctions.

Quoting Anonymous:

lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
It no longer has the sticker on it with all the information? It should be on the inside of one of the sides.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

What I want to do is take it apart, refinish it, and rebuild it. As old as it is I don't even remember who manufactured it. And my other two cribs are still in Indiana LMAO.

Quoting lunabella79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)