Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be mad that the parents weren't called sooner?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
At 10:45 my daughter called me. (She's 17, and a senior)

She told me that they evacuated the school at 8:25 (class starts at 8:15).

That they'd been outside since then, that there were police officers and fire men there but no one would tell them what was going on.

She said she'd already found her brother and wanted to know If I'd come get them.

I told her I'd be there in ten minutes.

I got there. The students were all in the parking lot, most if them huddled in groups becuase it was cold and their jackets were in the building. (it's been pretty cold and Rainy.)

I located the principal.
I told him my daughter had called me and asked what was going on.

It was a bomb threat.

At that point they hadnt called any parents or sent the kids home.

And I'm a little ticked by it.

Why?

Once there is a bomb threat, the school is evacuated and the students are not allowed back in the building that day. (Sometimes for 2-3 days.).

At 11:30 the principal started passing around a phone telling kids to call their parents and that they could use their phones if they had one. (School policy is that they can have their phones on them as long as they're off.)

As soon as they received the threat they knew the students Weren't going back in. So why did they have to stand outside from 8:25 until 11:30 in the cold and rainy weather before parents were called? Normally you get an automated thing as soon as they evacuate br />
(There won't be school Monday either. All they've said is that they did find a "suspicious object." But they haven't told anyone anything else.)
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Poor kids :/ Yeah I'd be mad

BEXi
by BEXi on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

IDR what they did for us when that happened. We were always let back inside the building though once it was cleared.

adrianaevanmom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Odd your schools close for days. Here they look around and everyone goes back in after a few hours.

TittyTwister
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

our school has an "emergency tree" anything like that happens an automated call is sent out to all parents immediately... i would be upset if I were in your situation

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Yeah. I would be annoyed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
We had 5 bomb threats in a month last year and that's what our school does too. Makes no sense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM

oh for crying out loud, my dd 14 would have been on the phone with me the minute she realized it was going to be a couple hour thing.  Your dd 17 , should have taken the initiative way before hours went by.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM
They've never let them back in the day off the threat here. St any of the schools including elementary. Usually they resume the next day. But sometimes it's 2-3 days.

Quoting adrianaevanmom:

Odd your schools close for days. Here they look around and everyone goes back in after a few hours.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM

So they don't have any sort of SOP for this? All the schools around here have an SOP that they send home the first day of school about this sort of thing. That is nuts to me that they don't have any set rules on this! The public school parents even know where they can go to get news and pick up their children in an event like this (local church will act as the district's HQ. 

My son is not a student in the district, and I even know how the stuff is supposed to happen.

msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM
We have an automated list.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN