Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious question about coughing. Like, serious serious.

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 61 Replies
I had a cold last week. I've gotten over most of it besides the cough. My coughing isn't as constant as it was-the fits are more spread out but by the end of the night, its almost like my body is too fatigued to cough and I can't actually breathe deep enough to cough. I just make this really weak "eh eh" sound and kind of clear my throat but not really. Its like my body physically stops me from drawing in enough air or something. Its frustrating because I WANT to cough. My throat itches. Drinking water or using a cough drop doesn't help.

This is the second night. I've tried googling it but nothing comes up. Anyone dealt with this? What is it? I just want to cough and get rid of the itch, damnit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caera
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Maybe you have allergic asthma. My brother used to do that when he was a child, and that was what he was diagnosed with.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
U need to go get your lungs checked. You could have bronchitis that developed further. Is it raspy or wheezy?
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Not really.

Quoting svolkov:

U need to go get your lungs checked. You could have bronchitis that developed further. Is it raspy or wheezy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymanben
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
You need a chest x-ray. Get lungs checked
poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Yes!  I've had this problem!  I don't know if it is a "thing" or not, but I have experienced it and it's SO FRUSTRATING.  What I've done is brace myself against a chair or arm of a couch so I have extra support from my body pushing against it and my lungs don't have to push as hard.  If possible, I'd also brace with one or both hands on the sides (if I could find a way to not also cough on people/table/etc so I could spare my hand) and then really focus on coughing.  Gotta get that crap out!

Sitting in the shower (not even getting wet, just the steam) can help and also drinking lots of water to thin that gunk out.

Good luck.  It's pretty awful!  Hope it doesn't last long.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Id still get checked. Anything abnormal that interferes with breathing is fairly urgent

Quoting spooky415:

Not really.

Quoting svolkov:

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I only cough after a cold. The cough might linger but its not an all the time ththing.

Quoting Caera:

Maybe you have allergic asthma. My brother used to do that when he was a child, and that was what he was diagnosed with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdy9440
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I would get checked for bronchitis. 

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Of course this would happen when I cant get to my doctors for a few days.

Quoting mymanben:

You need a chest x-ray. Get lungs checked

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM

don't take cough suppressants take cough expectorants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured