Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

underweight!?!

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 74 Replies

I took my DS to the doctor yesterday and they said that he should be in the 60% on his weight... WELL he is only in the 15%.... i am so upset because i feel like I am doing something wrong... he eats whatever he wants when he wants.... i cook meals and he eats those too....

HOW CAN I GET HIS WEIGHT UP WITHOUT HAVING A NEGATIVE AFFECT ON HIS HEALTH?

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
If all kids were in the 60th percentile, it wouldn't be the 60th percentile. Where is his height? Has he followed a steady curve? Seek a second opinion. He's on the chart, so unless he's experienced a sudden drop in percentile, they shouldn't be worried.
jltplk25
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Rest assured, you are doing NOTHING WRONG. My son was in the 5-10% for weight up until he was 4 and even now, he's barely in the 25th. I would be sure to include whole milk, limit juice (it's empty calories), and if he will drink it, you can add in Ovaltine or Carnation instant breakfast to up the calories in his milk. These were things that I was told to do. I was hounded for quite a while over his lack of weight until finally a doctor said, "You're son is just small."

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We give you free food to feed your kid and now you want us to tell you how to put it in his mouth?

Your kid is fine, as your doctor should have told you as long as his growth is charting at a normal rate it doesn't mater if he's in the 20% as long as it doesn't decline .

KJH_KMH_MOM
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

He is in the 40% with his height but that doctor was looking at me crazy and asking me all kinds of questions about his eating, but he is very active with football and all kinds of outside play everyday!

Quoting Anonymous:

If all kids were in the 60th percentile, it wouldn't be the 60th percentile. Where is his height? Has he followed a steady curve? Seek a second opinion. He's on the chart, so unless he's experienced a sudden drop in percentile, they shouldn't be worried.

pinkfairy0206
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM
What does that mean"we give u free food to put in his mouth"

Quoting Foolynroo2:

We give you free food to feed your kid and now you want us to tell you how to put it in his mouth?

Your kid is fine, as your doctor should have told you as long as his growth is charting at a normal rate it doesn't mater if he's in the 20% as long as it doesn't decline .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

The 15th percintile is normal for my kiddos :) If they go above 20th at any of their appointments then that is huge lol. I reaise peanuts, they are average to short and very skinny with big ole noggins. I was told that as long as they were gaining along THEIR own curve and meeting milestones, they were fine.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

She knows what it means! ha ha ha ha

Quoting pinkfairy0206:

Quoting Foolynroo2:

pinkfairy0206
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Ok share! Lol

Quoting Foolynroo2:

She knows what it means! ha ha ha ha

Quoting pinkfairy0206:

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Polkadotted
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Some kids are meant to be in the 15%ile.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM
My son is in the 15%. He is 18 months he drinks almond milk twice a day when it's nap time. He is a picky eater and since he is teething he doesn't much. His doctor said he was in the low normal but still normal. I wouldn't let it bother me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)