Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your definition of homemade?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just wondering what do you consider homemade?

Anything you make AT home?

Or does it have to use 100% fresh ingredients?

Or somewhere in between????

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM
If it isn't heat and eat.

Like if I make spaghetti or lasagna, I don't hand make the noodles or sauce (or cheese). But if I make chicken noodle soup the only thing premade is the noodles, but both I still consider homemade.
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Oh. Well I guess not *everything* by hand lol. No way I'd go to that much trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you grind your own flour? Make your own cheese & butter?

Quoting outtamymynd:

In my mind, homemade is everything fresh. No short cuts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If it comes from a box and you just add water/an egg/some oil to it, it's not homemade. Like Hamburger Helper, you may make that on your stove but it's not homemade. Or frozen waffles/pancakes. Precooked bacon and egg beaters are not homemade.

I consider using your own spices, whole ingredients (fresh or frozen), and either making the other stuff on your own (pasta) or buying it at the store. Like what you see on cooking shows. You're not going to see them making their own cheese and grinding their own wheat. Most made from scratch restaurants don't even do that.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM
So what do you do when certain fruits or veggies are not in season?

For example tomatoes. I came never find good tomatoes in the winter, but we love chili in the winter time. So I use mostly canned tomatoes for my chili.

Quoting outtamymynd:

emmypaige
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Idk. I think boxed food that you prepare is not really what I consider homemade.. Betty Crocker cupcakes, or things like that are not.
GwenGray
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

this

Quoting outtamymynd:

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I plan on enlisting into the army as soon as possible to serve my country and see some action. I have a great boy friend who loves my kids as much as I love them! If you are interested in belly dance or sword fighting but don't know where to start, go a head and ask me!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Ah ha! Short cuts! :)

Quoting outtamymynd:

Oh. Well I guess not *everything* by hand lol. No way I'd go to that much trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you grind your own flour? Make your own cheese & butter?

Quoting outtamymynd:

Jemmy
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I agree with this for meals.

For baking, I would say anything that doesn't come out of a box or is prepackaged.

Quoting Firewoman33:

To me homemade means putting the ingredient proportions in myself. For instance when i make lasagne i use store bought ricotta, sauce and noodles. I still consider it homemade.
Heisenberg
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

IDK, if the main ingredients come already put together for you then it's not homemade. Like if I make burritos but buy tortillas I still think of it as home made because the majority of the ingredients are fresh. Now if I said I made them from scratch, then I would be expecting home made tortillas as well.

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
My friend says homemade is when you use all fresh ingredients.

I always tell him since i dont grow any lol *MY*homemade is anything i make from my scratch. Meaning flour, butter, eggs, etc or even spaghetti. Anything you make that doesn't require you only season it lol but actually prepare it.

Ahh... I'm still not saying right i think lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)