Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your definition of homemade?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just wondering what do you consider homemade?

Anything you make AT home?

Or does it have to use 100% fresh ingredients?

Or somewhere in between????

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I like this interpretation.

I will use fresh tomatoes when they are in season. I will make my own pie crust rarely because I hate making pie crust. I always make my pancakes from scratch, along with waffles. =)

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Okay here's my opinion:

Frozen pancakes are not homemade.
Homemade pancake are from scratch. From a box doesn't count.

However homemade chili doesn't have to have 100% fresh veggies. In my opinion you can use canned tomatoes (espicailly during the winter months).

A chicken pot pie is still homemade if you use a pie crust from the box.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We almost always eat at home, but my food is not always homemade, that's for sure!

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM
To me, -00% homemade is making all the components that you possibly can at home (so, grinding your own wheat berries isn't going to happen, but making your own noodles and pasta sauce is.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I agree anything out of a box is not homemade.

But what about canned things?

Is baked ziti not homemade if I use canned sauce? Or do I have to make the sauce from whole tomatoes?

Quoting emmypaige:

Idk. I think boxed food that you prepare is not really what I consider homemade.. Betty Crocker cupcakes, or things like that are not.

outtamymynd
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
That is what comes to my mind when I hear homemade (fresh and not canned). I don't care if you use canned instead of fresh. I personally use canned, I rarely make anything completely homemade lol.
Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

So what do you do when certain fruits or veggies are not in season?

For example tomatoes. I came never find good tomatoes in the winter, but we love chili in the winter time. So I use mostly canned tomatoes for my chili.

Quoting outtamymynd:

In my mind, homemade is everything fresh. No short cuts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmypaige
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
plain sauced tomatoes in a can that you add your own herbs, spices, proteins, and veggies to I think can be considered homemade, but a jar of ragu you just pour over noodles not really.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Is baked ziti not homemade if I use canned sauce? Or do I have to make the sauce from whole tomatoes?

Quoting emmypaige:

Idk. I think boxed food that you prepare is not really what I consider homemade.. Betty Crocker cupcakes, or things like that are not.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Something that doesn't come out of a box and not made in the microwave lol. Fresh ingredients.
Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

somewhere in between. I mean if I make my own mac and cheese and it didn't come out of a box I would call it homemade. I didn't make the pasta from scratch or the cheese!

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Homade is pretty much what this reply says. I have to ask homemade for a lot of recipes I don't have the short cuts they have in the states. At least I don't know where to get them yet. Plus things from scratch taste so much better than already prepared. I love fresh ingredients. Still if you can find a short cut that doesn't kill nutrients and health then sure, why not use it. For instance chicken and dumplings why not use biscuit dough it taste just as good and cuts down on the labor depending on what you buy you can still maintain the great taste.

Quoting outtamymynd:

In my mind, homemade is everything fresh. No short cuts.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I agree! I almost always add my own spices and herbs to canned sauce and either canned or fresh tomatoes.

I hate ragu and prego!

Quoting emmypaige:

plain sauced tomatoes in a can that you add your own herbs, spices, proteins, and veggies to I think can be considered homemade, but a jar of ragu you just pour over noodles not really.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting emmypaige:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured