Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your definition of homemade?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just wondering what do you consider homemade?

Anything you make AT home?

Or does it have to use 100% fresh ingredients?

Or somewhere in between????

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Replies (41-50):
bullemhead
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

If I pop it in the microwave...in my home...it's homemade LOL!

DragonInfinity
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Took the words right outta my mouth! lol
Quoting Anonymous:

Homemade means mixing bowls, recipe books/cards, and lots of ingredients.
bunnyxlover
by hippity hop on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I do!
That's why they make you add the egg, its completely unnecessary but names the person feel like they are actually doing something
Its quick and easy ;)

Although I do love baking and make quite a few stuff from scratch and it really doesn't take much more time or effort

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Okay so just put of curiousty,

Would you consider a box of cake mix homemade?

Quoting disneymom2two:

I disagree.  Frozen pancakes (unless previously made at home, not bought frozen) are not homemade but making them from pancake flour mix is.  Perhaps they're not made from scratch but they are homemade.  If someone says they only cook from scratch that would include pie crust, etc.I do a mix - somethings are from scratch, some are homemade but use canned/boxed ingredients, and some are ready to thaw/cook.  It depends on what I want to make and what I have for time.  I'm making beef wellington tonight.  I do not plan on making the crust or making the pate; I still consider it homemade.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Okay here's my opinion:

Frozen pancakes are not homemade.

Homemade pancake are from scratch. From a box doesn't count.

However homemade chili doesn't have to have 100% fresh veggies. In my opinion you can use canned tomatoes (espicailly during the winter months).

A chicken pot pie is still homemade if you use a pie crust from the box.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I think there's a difference between "from scrach" and "homemade".  Yes a cake from a mix is homemade; it was not picked up at a grocery store or bakery; it is, however, not made from scratch.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Okay so just put of curiousty,

Would you consider a box of cake mix homemade?

Quoting disneymom2two:

I disagree.  Frozen pancakes (unless previously made at home, not bought frozen) are not homemade but making them from pancake flour mix is.  Perhaps they're not made from scratch but they are homemade.  If someone says they only cook from scratch that would include pie crust, etc.I do a mix - somethings are from scratch, some are homemade but use canned/boxed ingredients, and some are ready to thaw/cook.  It depends on what I want to make and what I have for time.  I'm making beef wellington tonight.  I do not plan on making the crust or making the pate; I still consider it homemade.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Okay here's my opinion:

Frozen pancakes are not homemade.

Homemade pancake are from scratch. From a box doesn't count.

However homemade chili doesn't have to have 100% fresh veggies. In my opinion you can use canned tomatoes (espicailly during the winter months).

A chicken pot pie is still homemade if you use a pie crust from the box.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Last time I made it was in home economics and it took like 2 days.. tasted ok but eh... the cost of all the ingredients plus the time... not worth it since pasta in a box costs about a dollar

Quoting Anonymous:

Raise your hand if you make all homemade pasta.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Not premade boxed stuff. Like Kraft mac and cheese isn't home made.

But noodles with cheese, milk, flour, butter, seasonings is.

Opening a can of soup isn't, but mixing random ingredients in stock is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Staples or single ingredients incorporated into a meal or other food.

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

For me, it's somewhere in-between...

If I'm making something at home, I'll consider it homemade unless it's just slid out of a container and warmed up.

A cake from a box mix is home made.

A can of Campbell's Chunky Chicken noodle soup is not. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Homemade means "made at home".  A casserole that uses a can of soup or a cup of bottled dressing or a sleeve of ritz cracker crumbs is still qualifies as homemade to me.  Baked goods from a mix are homemade, meaning I didn't buy them at the grocery store or bakery.  My homemade lasagna uses boxed noodles and sauce from a jar (with extra things added to it).

If I made it from basic ingredients with little to no processed foods, then I call that "from scratch".

Cakefrom a mix is homemade. Cake from flour and sugar is from scratch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Well not 100% fresh because that would mean milk fresh from the cow BUT the basic ingrediants. This would mean evap or condensed milk would still count as an ingrediant or pre jarred things of pickles, or spices from a jar. But if you are not putting all the ingrediants in than it is not home made. If you are cooking from a cake mix that all you need to add is eggs, oil and water it is NOT home made. I also dont think that making soups from a store bought stock as home made.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)