Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A hypothetical..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Lets say that you have a teenage child that has a severe medical condition. It's treatable, but costly to treat, even with insurance. High premiums, coverage limit has already been exhausted, and so on. Anyways, say you make much,much more money than your ex ( father of the sick child) And you both know that you can and will cover the child's medical costs without a second thought. You may be able to afford it, but naturally, the added cost takes a decent chunk out of your savings and your weekly pay check. Would you expect the ex to at least offer to help? even a little bit?  There is no child support order. You never felt one necessary, and he always was good about helping out every month...until your child together gets sick. Then all the sudden its crickets. Now remember, you can cover it all...But, would be be maybe a little resentful? Would you bring it up?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yes. Absolutely.
TSNDDY
Yes of course I would expect them to help and I would say something.
outtamymynd
Absolutely. I would expect the father to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyKarma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Of course!!! If the bills for the kids increase for any "explainable" reason, much like THIS!! His childs health!! His "child support" should go up as well and you should definitely talk to him about it.

Jemmy
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Yes, I would expect him to help. It's not like you're asking him to cover all the expenses, but he could at least help.
our.love.story
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Of course...that's still his child and I would expect him to WANT to help in any way he can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM

How would you approach it?  Especially if it had been brought up before and his answer was always " I don't make as much as you "

Quoting TSNDDY:

abecee
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I would expect the child's father to contribute.

Pixers
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Easily enough, you just say

"Look, I know you don't make as much, and normally I don't mind covering it all, but this is just taking its toll and I need the extra help.  I am not asking for your whole paycheck or even half, just what you can afford for each bill. I'm not trying to be the evil heavy I just need that extra bit of help with OUR child"

IF that doesn't work, honey you need to get a court order for child support.  Period.  I love that you two have stepped up and did a lot of that w/o the courts and are being parents instead of (well you know) but this is where he needs to take that extra step.  

Quoting Anonymous:

How would you approach it?  Especially if it had been brought up before and his answer was always " I don't make as much as you "

Quoting TSNDDY:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)