Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Kid's Teacher Makes Faces At Her

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is a good kid. Happy, likes school, has a lot of friends. She's in fifth grade, and I've never had any bad reviews from teachers before. This year she says her teacher hates her. She says she is always rolling her eyes at her and making mean faces. I haven't had any notes from the teacher about discipline problems, and my oldest son had her without any issues. Conferences are next week. Should I say something to the teacher or just let it go? I understand that every teacher in the world isn't going to love my daughter, but something is happening to give her a really bad vibe about class, and I'd like to know what.
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
DragonInfinity
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Your daughter might be over sensitive and she might be on to something. I'd bring it up "gently" and see what the teacher has to say about it. You are the parent if you feel like you need to bring it up and see how your daughter is doing and the relationship with her teacher. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Ive been through all the high school stages and have 1 dd already graduated , my youngest just started high school this yr,  let go and let your kids figure this shit out, its just gets worse when they get out into the world, give them the chance to learn how to deal with this on their own.

I just had to explain to dd 18, that now shes an adult its okay for other adults to call up the store she works at and berate her just for the fun of it....

Really let go, let your kids learn what tools and ways to deal with this, they will need it .

Quoting Melissa...:

Yeah, my oldest just started high school. I was worried about the adjustment, but he actually loves it! More freedom.

Quoting Anonymous:

lmao wait til high school..

Quoting Melissa...:

She is in middle school. Starts in fifth grade here. She's a pretty tough kid, but this is really throwing her off.

Quoting Anonymous:

lmao learn to let go and let your dd learn how to handle these situations, she will be starting middle school and high school soon, you wont have the chance to get all involved and your dd needs to know how to deal with this herself.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Say something. My Dr had a teacher that Dr thought hated her. And the teacher was glad that I told her so that she could bridge that misunderstanding between them. They ended up having a great relationship. 

Melissa...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Good point. The eye roll thing is kinda strange though. I've have been told I roll my eyes a lot though, and I don't even realize I do it. Kind of a nervous habit. Could be it's nothing personal.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you mention it, please do so with an open mind and a non-accusatory tone.  As a teacher I can tell you that it can be tough to have eyes on you all day.  We're human and what your daughter is perceiving as her "making faces" may have nothing to do with your daughter.

Contacts and eyeballs dry out.   Food gets stuck in teeth.  Noses itch.  Eyes twitch.  Necks cramp up.  Bellies rumble in distress.  I don't even want to think of the "faces" I probably made in the months before my hyster when I would be overcome with pain and cramps.

abecee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Do they allow parents to drop in to view a class (we live in a very small town where this is allowed)?  Could you casually ask your dd's friends how they like the teacher?  I'm not sure how I would handle it but I would try to get to the bottom of it.  You know your child better than anyone so if all her comments are a red flag to you then you absolutely know something is going on. 

Melissa...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I'm thinking I'll see what she has to say about my daughter first, then maybe casually joke my way into it. I'm not a confrontational person at all, so jumping het teacher's ass is not even on my agenda lol

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Your daughter might be over sensitive and she might be on to something. I'd bring it up "gently" and see what the teacher has to say about it. You are the parent if you feel like you need to bring it up and see how your daughter is doing and the relationship with her teacher. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Melissa...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
It's funny because she's such an independent kid anyway. For her to even bring up an issue was strange. I have two boys also, and they are the ones I need to "cut the apron strings" with. My daughter has always been a tough chic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ive been through all the high school stages and have 1 dd already graduated , my youngest just started high school this yr,  let go and let your kids figure this shit out, its just gets worse when they get out into the world, give them the chance to learn how to deal with this on their own.

I just had to explain to dd 18, that now shes an adult its okay for other adults to call up the store she works at and berate her just for the fun of it....

Really let go, let your kids learn what tools and ways to deal with this, they will need it .

Quoting Melissa...:

Yeah, my oldest just started high school. I was worried about the adjustment, but he actually loves it! More freedom.

Quoting Anonymous:

lmao wait til high school..

Quoting Melissa...:

She is in middle school. Starts in fifth grade here. She's a pretty tough kid, but this is really throwing her off.

Quoting Anonymous:

lmao learn to let go and let your dd learn how to handle these situations, she will be starting middle school and high school soon, you wont have the chance to get all involved and your dd needs to know how to deal with this herself.

Melissa...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
If there is a problem, I would hope to have it resolved.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Say something. My Dr had a teacher that Dr thought hated her. And the teacher was glad that I told her so that she could bridge that misunderstanding between them. They ended up having a great relationship. 

Melissa...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Yes, small town here. I know the. Teacher and all of her friends lol

Quoting abecee:

Do they allow parents to drop in to view a class (we live in a very small town where this is allowed)?  Could you casually ask your dd's friends how they like the teacher?  I'm not sure how I would handle it but I would try to get to the bottom of it.  You know your child better than anyone so if all her comments are a red flag to you then you absolutely know something is going on. 

DragonInfinity
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like what I'd do. :) I wish you luck and hopefully it isn't anything serious just something like what a previous poster said (random facial twitches, stomach cramps, etc..).
Quoting Melissa...:

I'm thinking I'll see what she has to say about my daughter first, then maybe casually joke my way into it. I'm not a confrontational person at all, so jumping het teacher's ass is not even on my agenda lol

Quoting DragonInfinity:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured