Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grocery bill

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 66 Replies

How much do you spend on groceries a month? 

We are a family of 4. I try to buy local, organic or do home hade usings organic ingredients. But I spend WAY to much a month. I think we spend between $1000-$1200 a month. I need to get my spending under control. 

So what is your family size, monthly bill and what do you buy(processed or fresh)? 

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We are a family of 4 and according to USAA's pie chart of our spending habits, we spend about the same as you OP. It is a lot but at least it's on food and not random stupid stuff.

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

We mostly buy fresh (some organic, farmers market once a week), but at least once a week I get something processed like a frozen lasagna for our busy days.  We're a family of four and spend about $150-$200 a week depending if we get some wine or beer that week, which increases our grocery bill by about $30. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Uh fam 4 and 2 dogs about 650$
Mrs.Jones2314
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I spend about $100 per week for a family of four, but my hubby works out of town Monday-Thursday, so I buy some things for him to take with him. We also eat out on the weekends, 3-4 times. I but fresh fruit and veggies. I also plan what meals I'm going to cook for the week and check what i already have before I go. I pack my kids lunch/snacks for school also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Family of 4 and we spend about $130-150 a week.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
4 people $500.

I spend about $350 on my shopping day and prepare meals for the whole month and freeze them. Including chopping onions and peppers for the month of meals. We would probably only spend about $75 the rest of the month if I was the only one allowed in the store for more milk cheese drinks etc.

But dh goes shopping on a whim and buys costly Starbucks 4 packs and drinks them all in ten minutes buys what we already have frozen because he wants it now not when it thaws etc. I swear I wish I could pay the store to shock him if he stepped on the door mat so he would just leave instead. He wastes money on food like no tomorrow :/
nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Family of 7, spend about $150-$200 a week. We shop farmers markets when possible for fruits and veggies, I bake most of our treats and breads, an try to make homemade meals most of the time. We do buy some processed stuff like lasagna or the occasional pizza or chicken nuggets for nights when we have school activities. We eat out less than once a month.
Anonymous-kat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

BUMP!

AMRios
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Family of 6 and we spend about $600-$800 a month on groceries!

mom2jessnky
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM

About $500 for a family of 4.  Gluten free, some organic, fresh fruits and veggies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)