Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL is mad that we don't ask her to babysit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

But, she always asks us to pay her. I am not saying we can't afford it but it does mean an extra $30 per evening we go out. My mom and my sister are always willing to babysit for free (me and my sister babysit for each other). So if I have the choice between taking the kids to my MIL's house and paying her about $30 or taking the kids to my mom's or sister's house (where if I am to be honest, I feel like they get better care) for free, why does she get mad that we don't ask her?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I'd want to be paid if my kids expected, or constantly asked, me to watch the kids.

I wouldn't expect to be paid if I wanted to watch the kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

ya thats ridiculous. I never understood grandparents that expect to be paid to watch and spend time with their own grandchildren. they shouldn't have to be paid to do so. my mom and my husband's parents beg us to let them watch our kids. and they do it for free.

PestPatti
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Oh goody its another my mother in law is bad because ________. 

bambismom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

What???   A grandma getting paid to babysit???  NO, NO, NO!    I've never heard of such a thing.  My MIL had my boys all the time when they were small, sometimes for entire weekends, and of course they wouldn't have ever thought about being paid.  I have a grandbaby now, and no way I would ever ask for money.  Maybe, if I was actually doing daycare everyday, I might want to be compensated in some way, but probably not even then. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

If it's a regular thing, I agree with paying but for one or two evenings a month, it's crazy IMO

Quoting disneymom2two:

When my mom watched my sister's kid on a regular basis (M-F 7:30-6), she asked for money because then she could take my niece out and do stuff with her; it was something like $30/week.  If she watched her or my kids for a couple of hours at night so we could go out with our husbands, she didn't ask or expect anything.  My in-laws won't accept money so when they were watching our son more often than usual for a period (about once a week for a month) for a couple hours during the day (not the whole day), we bought them an ice tea maker that I knew my MIL wanted.

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Uhh no...
I would not pay my own family to watch my kids for just a few hours
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

that I guess I can understand. both my mom and inlaws watch my kids on an almost monthly basis and never ask or expect to be paid. but they voluntarily watch them. if I were to ask them, I can understand grandparents wanting or asking to be paid something. but you don't ask/beg to see/watch your grandkids and then expect to be paid. that just doesn't make any sense!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd want to be paid if my kids expected, or constantly asked, me to watch the kids.

I wouldn't expect to be paid if I wanted to watch the kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

ya thats ridiculous. I never understood grandparents that expect to be paid to watch and spend time with their own grandchildren. they shouldn't have to be paid to do so. my mom and my husband's parents beg us to let them watch our kids. and they do it for free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I don't nessesarily think she is bad but if she wants to watch the kids, she shouldn't expect to be paid. If she wants to be paid, she should understand that we will ask her only if no one else can do it.

Quoting PestPatti:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

She sounds crazy.  If I had to pay a relative to babysit for me once in a while, not on a regular basis because I work, I would think they weren't taking good care of my kids, that it would be all about money and I wouldn't have them babysit.  Ever.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Grandparents shouldnt charge, thats crazy to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Oh goody another "whack job MIL's can do whatever they want and DIL isn't supposed to say anything about it" post.  I take it you're an MIL who thinks charging to babysit is okay when the MIL is the one who asked to watch the child and only does it once in a while.

Quoting PestPatti:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN