Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL is mad that we don't ask her to babysit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

But, she always asks us to pay her. I am not saying we can't afford it but it does mean an extra $30 per evening we go out. My mom and my sister are always willing to babysit for free (me and my sister babysit for each other). So if I have the choice between taking the kids to my MIL's house and paying her about $30 or taking the kids to my mom's or sister's house (where if I am to be honest, I feel like they get better care) for free, why does she get mad that we don't ask her?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
PestPatti
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Well your assumptions would be wrong.  I have a very nice daughter in law, and I have no grandchildren.     

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh goody another "whack job MIL's can do whatever they want and DIL isn't supposed to say anything about it" post.  I take it you're an MIL who thinks charging to babysit is okay when the MIL is the one who asked to watch the child and only does it once in a while.

Quoting PestPatti:

Oh goody its another my mother in law is bad because ________. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Her loss...

If she wants to see them, she wouldn't be trying to hit you up for money over it.

Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Hell I wouldn't pay her either, how does dh feel about it?
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Eh. Screw her. Let her be mad. Do what's best for you and your kid(s).
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My thoughts exactly. I take of my grandson an average of 40 hours a week at no charge. This has nothing to do with her wanting a bond with her grandchild...it is all about the almighty dollar.

Quoting Anonymous:

lmao... she wants money and is pissed she cant get any from you. kts not even about wanting to be with a grandchild. i wouldnt want to ask her either.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Tell her you are going with a sitter who charges less

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I would tell MIL that between her wanting to babysit for $30 and your mom or sister babysiting for free, free looks better so if she wants to babysit, she's going to have to rethink asking for money.

kikibix
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

She's an idiot.  Of course you should ask your Mom and sister instead.  I understand paying a relative if they are your regular babysitter while you work but for the occassional evening out?  I always thought family helped family, not used them to profit off of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM

DH feels that his mom should get to babysit equally as much as my mom does but he also agrees that if she wants to watch them, she will do it for free.

Quoting Toonkasmommy:

Hell I wouldn't pay her either, how does dh feel about it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

What does she say when you tell her that it's silly for you to spend the $ when someone is willing to babysit for free?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)