Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL is mad that we don't ask her to babysit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

But, she always asks us to pay her. I am not saying we can't afford it but it does mean an extra $30 per evening we go out. My mom and my sister are always willing to babysit for free (me and my sister babysit for each other). So if I have the choice between taking the kids to my MIL's house and paying her about $30 or taking the kids to my mom's or sister's house (where if I am to be honest, I feel like they get better care) for free, why does she get mad that we don't ask her?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Eh. I would never let either set of grandparents be alone with my child much less babysit!!!!! I'm adopted so my parents are CLUELESS about caring for a child under 5 and my in laws....well I just don't trust them one bit.

Tell your mil to go fuck herself.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM

What does your DH say?  If he's not going to fall for her stuff, let him deal with her.

Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous:

DH feels that his mom should get to babysit equally as much as my mom does but he also agrees that if she wants to watch them, she will do it for free.

Quoting Toonkasmommy:

Hell I wouldn't pay her either, how does dh feel about it?

daisybaby91
by lipstick on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
This, exactly.
My mil asks for my son every weekend

Quoting Anonymous:

ya thats ridiculous. I never understood grandparents that expect to be paid to watch and spend time with their own grandchildren. they shouldn't have to be paid to do so. my mom and my husband's parents beg us to let them watch our kids. and they do it for free.

kstchr
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I have never heard of a grandparent expecting to be paid to babysit their own grandchild.  I don't blame you one bit!

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM

How is your MIL doing financially?  Perhaps she's really doing pretty bad, and is just looking for a way to earn a little money.. if that's the case, I'd invite her to dinner once a week or so, and see what I could do to spend time with her, and ease the pressure of her finances in a way that makes everyone comfortable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM
No one should have to be a free babysitter.

Quoting Anonymous:

ya thats ridiculous. I never understood grandparents that expect to be paid to watch and spend time with their own grandchildren. they shouldn't have to be paid to do so. my mom and my husband's parents beg us to let them watch our kids. and they do it for free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM

That is true BUT if you don't want to babysit for free, don't complain when you aren't asked to babysit when the parents have reliable people who are willing to babysit for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I don't know how she is doing but I have no reason to think she isn't doing well

Quoting jessi2girls:

How is your MIL doing financially?  Perhaps she's really doing pretty bad, and is just looking for a way to earn a little money.. if that's the case, I'd invite her to dinner once a week or so, and see what I could do to spend time with her, and ease the pressure of her finances in a way that makes everyone comfortable. 

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
No one is forcing her to. She is ASKING.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN